D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Drakewarden and Way of the Ascendant Dragon

We have a new UA available today, this time showcasing new monk and ranger dragon-themed subclasses, in the Way of the Ascendant Dragon and the Drakewarden, respectively. Interesting to note that these are both dragon adjacent subclasses. Is this foreshadowing for an upcoming product? Or just coincidence?

We have a new UA available today, this time showcasing new monk and ranger dragon-themed subclasses, in the Way of the Ascendant Dragon and the Drakewarden, respectively.

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 5.38.50 PM.png

Interesting to note that these are both dragon adjacent subclasses. Is this foreshadowing for an upcoming product? Or just coincidence?

That’s good feedback. They could easily tack growing to medium size onto an earlier class feature in a later draft.
I was honestly wondering if the small size in the stat block was a typo or oversight and I re-read it a couple of times to make sure I didn't miss something in there. Considering the companion can potentially grow wings before the size jump happens, maybe they just wanted to avoid the problems of small sized PC races with flying mounts? That was honestly the first thing I thought of.

Vaguely all sorts of different non-Japanese Asian cultures.

The first version was based about Kahn's, but the second (timely wimey) was about dragons.
Fair enough. I have been out of the Magic loop from about 1998 or so until recently when I got back in via Arena so I don't really know the lore of most of the settings I haven't seen firsthand.

-For the Ascendant Dragon it looks like another attempt at lets see about fixing something that's broken with the Way of the Elements. I see use for prof bonus times or once per long rest before spending ki as one way I'd might fix that subclass.
-I know they're trying to be non-specific about dragon types while only referencing the core 10 dragons, but I feel they should have thunder included especially for the Ascendant Dragon. I know none of the core 10 do thunder damage, but some of the Lung dragon types might, which would be more thematically tied to this subclass.
-I like the Drakewarden as a better version of the Beastmaster with a tighter them.
-I guess they could be trying again for another Draconomicon in 5e.

G

Guest 6801328

Interesting (from Draconic Discipline):
Once this feature turns a failure into a successs, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Have we seen that particular mechanic, i.e. "use it until it succeeds", anywhere else? I like it.

The other thing to note is that the higher level abilities all get one or more free uses, and then you can use them additional times by spending Ki. This seems to address the criticism of Monks and Sorcerers (which I initially resisted, but now agree with) about sub-class abilities that drain base-class resources.

EDIT: Ok, I'm kinda jonesing to play this monk now.

Vael

Legend
I like these. The dragon theme is well done, but not too intrusive (The dragon monk can become a replacement elemental theme) and I'm liking this version of a ranger with a pet.

This may be for a future Draconomicon, or even a reboot of "Council of Wyrms" based in Chris Perkins' (homebrew setting) Iomandra. I advice to allow some space to add later the rest of all true dragons, even the forgotten from previous editions (for example the brainstealer, the cobra dragon or the rainbow dragon). It shouldn't be difficult if we add more planets in the same crystal sphere.

I wish the return of Dragonlance, and I guess this should be a logic step because this franchise in the right hands may become one of the best cash-cows by Hasbro. WotC should explain that door still is open but we have to await a little time more.

You know more of one player wants to be a dragon rider, or a pokemon-trainer/digimon tamer with dragons as monster pets. And always there is a player who wants something more exotic, for example a no-core dragon as monster ally: imperial lung, planar, gem, outer(stellar, radiant, sun, moon..).

Wouldn't you like dragonborn subraces based in no-core dragons? Nor metallic neither chromatic, but other type, as lungs, planar, gem, outer...

I miss the dragons as monster classes from Dragon magazine.

Remove ads

Remove ads