Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Explores Downtime Activities

This is EXACTLY what I wanted and EXACTLY what the game needed. Then there's this: "For more information, see “Brewing Potions of Healing” in this section on crafting and “Scribing a Spell Scroll” on page Error! Bookmark not defined." (p. 7) :erm:

This is EXACTLY what I wanted and EXACTLY what the game needed.

Then there's this: "For more information, see “Brewing Potions of Healing” in this section on crafting and “Scribing a Spell Scroll” on page Error! Bookmark not defined." (p. 7) :erm:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
The complications tables are a bit crappy. Too many are "this thing already happened", when the thing in question is something you would have had to actively participate in. The gambling complications table has "you get a debt that can't be paid in cash", even if you are successful and make money! The carousing table has you agree to do all kinds of stupid things, because apparently attempting to make new contacts inevitably includes getting so blind drunk you sign random contracts and give away 500gp at a time.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The complications tables are a bit crappy. Too many are "this thing already happened", when the thing in question is something you would have had to actively participate in. The gambling complications table has "you get a debt that can't be paid in cash", even if you are successful and make money! The carousing table has you agree to do all kinds of stupid things, because apparently attempting to make new contacts inevitably includes getting so blind drunk you sign random contracts and give away 500gp at a time.
Yeah, they get a bit carried away. Mearls even uses an example in the interview (under the assumption that downtime is used between sessions) that you could get back to the table and discover that the party rogue is now in jail "from a few bad rolls".

That... doesn't sound good to me.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

Geeknamese

Explorer
Yeah, they get a bit carried away. Mearls even uses an example in the interview (under the assumption that downtime is used between sessions) that you could get back to the table and discover that the party rogue is now in jail "from a few bad rolls".

That... doesn't sound good to me.

Hehe, you've never had a friend of family member with a gambling problem? Or that person that's been on a losing streak and is just chasing hope that luck will turn around? People gamble, lose and start pawning things hoping to just double up and go home even. Eventually incur big debts to loan sharks and get into serious trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Ristamar

Adventurer

It may not be for everyone, but there are plenty of tables that enjoy those types of jump cuts when carousing. In fact, they're often actively seeking trouble, fully aware they could end up in a bad scene with a quick roll of the dice.

It is expected that more straight-laced groups will trim potential consequences to fit their own comfort level while the more gonzo types will add in any Hangover-style craziness they can imagine.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hehe, you've never had a friend of family member with a gambling problem? Or that person that's been on a losing streak and is just chasing hope that luck will turn around? People gamble, lose and start pawning things hoping to just double up and go home even. Eventually incur big debts to loan sharks and get into serious trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app
I'm not sure how any if that relates to what I said.

I just think that some of the more severe consequences of failure are a bit much, not in that they aren't an interesting story, but that they could interfere with the gamw going forward.

It's easy enough to chose to do something else instead, so I am not worried about it.

unknowable

Explorer

Hmmm no, it is saying that you end up gambling for something that isn't money or maybe allow yourself to wager something that isn't monetarily valued / trade it for money to gamble with or enter a gambling establishment.
This can be things like favors, or maybe a kidney. That is what they are going for.

Also it is post event because this is handwaving between large stretches of time man, if you don't want this and a group has time just roleplay the experience... It is that simple. The game doesn't need rules for actively roleplaying, but it did need rules for quickly summarizing downtime activities.

Caliburn101

Explorer
Yes, more nuanced thought required, but a good idea generally.

For instance, I would have the three rolls for Pit Fighting be as follows;

Melee Attack Roll - whichever melee combat style is yours, you will use it in the Pit.
Constitution Roll - however you fight, being tough enough counts in the Pit.
Perception Roll - the Pit is famed dirty fighting, hidden weapons and sand in the face - keep frosty or suffer the consequences!

For crafting I would say that skill should count, and workdays should be reduced by 10% for every skill point above the DC, to a maximum of 50% time reduction.

Also, every day and assistant helps to create an item has their input count as a workday towards the total needed only if they have a skill equal to the DC or more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I think the rules and guidelines are, overall, pretty good. My group has a character we decided likes gambling and drinking and gaming on his off time (no productive hobbies), and the carousing table in the DMG was getting worn a little thin. I'm happy to have more tables to roll on.

I/we had already introduced a number of NPCs who fit the "foils" descriptions in this article, but it's nice to have a set of operations and activities that are a little more codified.

I had no need and have no use for rules on making magic items, but I like the approach the article takes.

This kind of article is of far greater interest to me than additional splat and options.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Relaxation restores stat damage. That's really handy if you are running a low level or low magic world. We are about one or two steps away from having healers and doctors that don't require using Lesser or Greater Restoration to cure people.

Remove ads

Remove ads