Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Fighter: Samurai, Sharpshooter, Arcane Archer & Knight

I'm getting, like, unhealthy amounts of mad, clicking on that broken link.

I'm getting, like, unhealthy amounts of mad, clicking on that broken link.

Quickleaf

Legend
This is a huge problem for me. In my games Player Characters don't have a huge PC stamped on their forehead. They don't get powers or abilities that no one else in the world gets. If a PC can use a marking mechanic, then so can their enemies.

So no, they are not player abilities they are new abilities that are being added to the game that can be used by a player or the DM.

There's actually a very practical reason player abilities & monster abilities are designed differently: The DM is one person controlling multiple monsters. Too much complexity/granularity in a monster's abilities can slow down the DM's decision making process for monsters; and this is doubly true for monsters with reactions outside the normal opportunity attack.

Just reflecting from my 4e games, reaction powers were one (not the only) major time sinks in combat.

Chaosmancer

Legend
This is a huge problem for me. In my games Player Characters don't have a huge PC stamped on their forehead. They don't get powers or abilities that no one else in the world gets. If a PC can use a marking mechanic, then so can their enemies.

So no, they are not player abilities they are new abilities that are being added to the game that can be used by a player or the DM.

This is true, and I can respect that.

But, just like I never consider how players would react to being hit with a Quivering Palm, I don't want this discussion to revolve around how a player is going to react to being marked by a Knight.

Unless the DM specifically gives the enemies monk levels or fighter levels, those capabilities are not available to the opposing side.

If the DM does give them those class levels, they should be doing so with the complete understanding of how that is going to effect the game, and then shouldn't turn around and complain that it caused a breakdown in the game, because they added it into the mix.

This conversation should be more concerned with how a player takes advantage of these abilities.

Corpsetaker

First Post
Funny enough, it's also the reason I don't play RIFTS. I was playing a werewolf PC and it seemed super awesome cool and I was all into it, and then I was was a bit surprised that I'd get a 1d4 MDC weapon at first level (isn't MDC for high level PCs, I thought?). Then I met the group. Glitter boys, juicers, etc. I might as well have been playing a cheerleader.

Needed to pipe in here. This wasn't a RIFTS issue, this was a DM issue. It is the job of the DM in RIFTS to make sure the party composition stays accurate for the type of game played. If you are playing a heavy MDC type of game then you wouldn't really be running around with SDC types of weapons and characters, unless they had high MDC capability.

Cyvris

First Post
Arcane Archer-Love the idea of finally breaking away from "I make an attack" but again it's super limited. Would be nice to see the "damage" boost of Magic Arrow limited, while the various effects are unlimited.

Knight-nice to see Marking as a mechanic make a return. Excuse me while I grant it to all Fighter and Paladin builds.

The others? Meh not at all interesting, just more "I make a melee attack" characters that lack any sort of tactical gameplay.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Knight-nice to see Marking as a mechanic make a return. Excuse me while I grant it to all Fighter and Paladin builds.
The Fighter's Extra Attack & Action Surge make him a powerful DPR contender, and that doesn't leave a lot to play around with in the Archetypes, which were pretty limited in the PH, and are looking very narrowly-focused here. That said, I often get the feeling that a /lot/ of the features given to non-magic-using sub-classes could be combined without exactly breaking the game wide open.

Faenor

Explorer
Confused and don't have time to read through 15 pages to find out if its been discussed - so please help if it has.

What is the 'Search' action? I don't see that in the PHB.

What is a 'bonus turn'? Is it a full second turn? Can you multi-attack? Can you cast a full spell that requires an action? How about if you've already cast a full spell? Do you get another bonus action? They give an example of what you can do, but they don't define what you can do.

Cyvris

First Post
That said, I often get the feeling that a /lot/ of the features given to non-magic-using sub-classes could be combined without exactly breaking the game wide open.

Honestly, I'm straight tempted to give a combination of the Arcane Archer and Battle Master "maneuvers" out for free, while restricting the extra "damage" to short rests. The effects balance pretty well against what casters sling around. I actually wrote up a whole set of "Augment Basic Attack" maneuvers for most of the "non-casters" ripped pretty much whole cloth from 4e. Maybe I'll post them here sometime, since the other places I posted them were pretty cold to the entire idea.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads