D&D (2024) Unearthed Arcana Playtest Packet 6 Video

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I don’t think that’s true at all. Hated by some, maybe, but I don’t think broadly. They wouldn’t have made it into the game in the first place unless a lot of people liked them. I’m one of those people.
A LOT of stuff that was in the 2014 wasn't in the playtest. And a lot were crowded out by other stuff and didn't get heavy playlisting in 2013.

Otherwise there would be nothing to change in 2024 that requires over a year of playtest.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
A LOT of stuff that was in the 2014 wasn't in the playtest.
Not much, really. Some stuff did get changed pretty inexplicably, but very little got added. At any rate, exhaustion was 100% in the playtest, and passed approval.
And a lot were crowded out by other stuff and didn't get heavy playlisting in 2013.
True.
Otherwise there would be nothing to change in 2024 that requires over a year of playtest.
That would only be true if the audience’s tastes hadn’t changed at all since then, which is demonstrably not the case.

codo

Hero
I wish they would allow the bard, rogue, and sorcerer keep the 3, 6, 10, 14 subclass level distribution as I think they we’re the three that really needed the change. I really don’t see why the rogue and sorcerer needed to get their later subclass features so late and it was nice for the bards to get another subclass feature since they only get three normally which is a bit weird to me.
I liked unifying subclass progression, but I understand they are trying to maintain backwards compatibility. However, at minimum the rouge needs to get a second subclass feature before 9th level. That is just to late for their second subclass feature, most rogue players never actually get to see their second feature. They need another feature at level 6. They can just let old subclasses get a feat at that level.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The return to previous subclass levels shows how difficult it is to change the deep structure of a game, once it is put in use.

Things like the crossclass subclasses, or the balancing of abilities (Dex v Int), or maybe even a functional psionics, must be done when the game first comes out (2014).
One does not equal the other. Just because it's hard to mix and match progressions does not mean that you can't add in a functional psionic system with the same progression as 2014.

Yaarel

He Mage
One does not equal the other. Just because it's hard to mix and match progressions does not mean that you can't add in a functional psionic system with the same progression as 2014.
The problem with psionics in the past is, each power source − arcane, primal, and divine − had its own themes and niche. Since the themes that would properly go to psionics such as mind affecting enchantments and telekinetic force effects already went to the arcane source, psionics became inherently superfluous and redundant. Thus the implementation requires deep structural planning at the start of the game.

What is true in the past, might be less true in 2024. Its spell lists for each power source seem comfortable with spells that overlap several sources. Thus there is less niche protection, and more interest in simply picking whichever spells best match the themes of the list.

Yaarel

He Mage
@Charlaquin

Your prediction that 2024 would eliminate the Monk Elemental subclass proved somewhat true. They kept it but went back to the drawing board to rethink it and redesign it from the ground up.

Remove ads