D&D (2024) Unearthed Arcana Playtest Packet 6 Video

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The problem with psionics in the past is, each power source − arcane, primal, and divine − had its own themes and niche. Since the themes that would properly go to psionics such as mind affecting enchantments and telekinetic force effects already went to the arcane source, psionics became inherently superfluous and redundant. Thus the implementation requires deep structural planning at the start of the game.

What is true in the past, might be less true in 2024. Its spell lists for each power source seem comfortable with spells that overlap several sources. Thus there is less niche protection, and more interest in simply picking whichever spells best match the themes of the list.
There's no real power source niche at all these days. Arcane casters can heal. Divine one deal lots of damage. Arcane, divine and primal are just buzz words. Most of the uniqueness comes from class and subclass anyway.

Yaarel

He Mage
No one needs WotC to re-order the Exhaustion levels for us (although sure, it'd be lovely to see them match what any of us might want to use)... but we can just re-order them ourselves. It is one of the easiest and least intrusive house rules you can make.

Level 1: Speed halved.
Level 2: Max HP halved.
Level 3: Disadvantage on attacks and saves.
Level 4: Disadvantage on ability checks.
Level 5: Speed 0.
Level 6: Death.

There. Done.
That sequence for Exhaustion is a bit better for more DM reuse in various contexts.

But it is still awkward. For example, if I use it to represent a devastating injury at zero hit points (with death save failures), the half speed makes sense for an injured abdomen or injured leg, but makes less sense for an injured arm.

I prefer the neutrality of the UA version of Exhaustion, so I can apply it to various situations of traumatic stress generally.

Yaarel

He Mage
There's no real power source niche at all these days. Arcane casters can heal. Divine one deal lots of damage. Arcane, divine and primal are just buzz words. Most of the uniqueness comes from class and subclass anyway.
2024 seems to have less mechanical distinctions between the sources, but more cosmological and narrative distinctions. Buzz words indeed.

mellored

Legend
The problem with psionics in the past is, each power source − arcane, primal, and divine − had its own themes and niche. Since the themes that would properly go to psionics such as mind affecting enchantments and telekinetic force effects already went to the arcane source, psionics became inherently superfluous and redundant. Thus the implementation requires deep structural planning at the start of the game.
There are already psionics subclasses. They get some dice, and can spend them on "maneuvers".

Just extend that and give a few eldritch blast type cantrips. No need for spells, or any other structural changes.

Though my main problem with psionics, is they tend to spam one ability over and over.

Yaarel

He Mage
There are already psionics subclasses. They get some dice, and can spend them on "maneuvers".

Just extend that and give a few eldritch blast type cantrips. No need for spells, or any other structural changes.

Though my main problem with psionics, is they tend to spam one ability over and over.
I require a Psion as a separate class. So spells remain a significant aspect for me. In any case, 2024 seems comfortable with adding a psionic spell list for the source.

mellored

Legend
I require a Psion as a separate class. So spells remain a significant aspect for me. In any case, 2024 seems comfortable with adding a psionic spell list for the source.
Why do they need to be spells?

Psion.
You get some cantrips.
You get some psionic dice.
Use the dice to improve your cantrips.

Yaarel

He Mage
Why do they need to be spells?

Psion.
You get some cantrips.
You get some psionic dice.
Use the dice to improve your cantrips.
This is not a thread to debate the conflicting desires for psionics. As you know, different psionic fans have different hopes for the psionic source.

I want the 3e Psion who is a psionic fullcaster. (Preferably who uses the Warlock chassis with short rest points replacing slots.)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
That sequence for Exhaustion is a bit better for more DM reuse in various contexts.

But it is still awkward. For example, if I use it to represent a devastating injury at zero hit points (with death save failures), the half speed makes sense for an injured abdomen or injured leg, but makes less sense for an injured arm.

I prefer the neutrality of the UA version of Exhaustion, so I can apply it to various situations of traumatic stress generally.
If this nitpickiness really matters that much to you between a game mechanic and your ability to describe the mechanic in the narrative... then re-order the levels however you want, or just adopt the -1 to -10 playtest version into your own game.

But the fact that you personally don't like that you can't justify describing an injured arm as causing a Level 1 Exhaustion: Half-speed mechanic is not enough of a reason for WotC to change a system for everyone else.

Yaarel

He Mage
If this nitpickiness really matters that much to you between a game mechanic and your ability to describe the mechanic in the narrative... then re-order the levels however you want, or just adopt the -1 to -10 playtest version into your own game.

But the fact that you personally don't like that you can't justify describing an injured arm as causing a Level 1 Exhaustion: Half-speed mechanic is not enough of a reason for WotC to change a system for everyone else.
My general feeling is.

Since 2014 few players ever came across Exhaustion, except for Barbarian players.

Now that 2024 removes the Exhaustion from the Barbarian class, Exhaustion itself becomes even less usable clutter.

For the sake of keeping the 2024 Players Handbook as clear and as simple as possible, it is worthwhile to relocate the Exhaustion mechanic into the DMs Guide as a variant rule that some DMs will want to use, but not all. If brief enough, mention both the 2014 version and the UA version as variants.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
My general feeling is.

Since 2014 few players ever came across Exhaustion, except for Barbarian players.

Now that 2024 removes the Exhaustion from the Barbarian class, Exhaustion itself becomes even less usable clutter.

For the sake of keeping the 2024 Players Handbook as clear and as simple as possible, it is worthwhile to relocate the Exhaustion mechanic into the DMs Guide as a variant rule that some DMs will want to use, but not all. If brief enough, mention both the 2014 version and the UA version as variants.
Valid opinion, and one worth mentioning to WotC in the surveys (or mentioning again if you already have previously.) I agree that Exhaustion is an underused mechanic, just like the +2 / +5 to AC (or -2 / -5 to attack rolls) that comes from being behind cover-- more places in the game probably could use that +2 / +5 rather than defaulting to Advantage (or -2 / -5 instead of Disadvantage), just like Exhaustion could be used more (provided the Disad on Ability Checks was moved away from Level 1).

Personally... I'd rather we have both in the game as valid options, which is why I wasn't a fan of the -1 to -10 Exhaustion change... it was just the -2 / -5 penalty in a different format (plus being more fiddly in the keeping track of numbers). In my mind, no reason not to have both. Whether or not it's put in the DMG rather than the PHB... that's just an organization thing that to me doesn't particularly matter.

Remove ads