Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Revisits Psionics

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC revisits some psionic rules! “Shine with the power of the mind in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! Today we revisit several psi-themed options that we released in the past few months. Studying your feedback on those options, we’ve crafted this new collection of subclasses, spells, and feats, found in the PDF below.“...

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC revisits some psionic rules! “Shine with the power of the mind in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! Today we revisit several psi-themed options that we released in the past few months. Studying your feedback on those options, we’ve crafted this new collection of subclasses, spells, and feats, found in the PDF below.“

F07971E8-C0BB-4025-A151-D48852409FCA.jpeg

Chaosmancer

Legend
Still, it's part of the strategy of the game.

If it is strategy to spell out a series of events that allows me to do what I would do anyways if we just ignored that series of events needing to be done, then I don't get it.

I mean, I don't specify that I draw from the left of my quiver when shooting a bow, or that I crank the handle to load a crossbow.

But I need to drop my shield to cast the spell from my ring and then pick the shield back up. It just seems pointless and wastes time

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If it is strategy to spell out a series of events that allows me to do what I would do anyways if we just ignored that series of events needing to be done, then I don't get it.

I mean, I don't specify that I draw from the left of my quiver when shooting a bow, or that I crank the handle to load a crossbow.

But I need to drop my shield to cast the spell from my ring and then pick the shield back up. It just seems pointless and wastes time

Well, hand usage while loading crossbows is also important,and changing that via say a Feat is a big deal too.

I'm not saying that everyone has to like it, but stage managing that is part of the game, and I've always enjoyed it. Part of what makes it D&D and not World of Warcraft.

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

We're currently in dungeon where there are several humans and only one light cantrip. So we use torches. It's added some complexity when the DM says, "Aren't you holding a torch?"

You can drop your torch on the ground for free, and draw one weapon as a free action. No problem. But then you want to move. "Do you leave the torch there?" The other option is to use a free action to sheathe your sword and...a full action to pick it up? It gets left.

Since we're playing on a VTT, the DM then removes the light source from the character and makes it stationary. Then (because our DM is evil) the goblins move the fight around a corner...into darkness.

Now, you could ignore ALL of this and still have fun playing. But having to think about what you are holding, and what else you need your hands for, definitely adds complexity. I don't really track who says what on the forum (unless I don't have a choice because they say it 10,000 times) but if the people saying they ignore drawing/holding/picking up, spell components, encumbrance, etc. are the same ones who complain that 5e doesn't have tactics....well....

Parmandur

Book-Friend
We're currently in dungeon where there are several humans and only one light cantrip. So we use torches. It's added some complexity when the DM says, "Aren't you holding a torch?"

You can drop your torch on the ground for free, and draw one weapon as a free action. No problem. But then you want to move. "Do you leave the torch there?" The other option is to use a free action to sheathe your sword and...a full action to pick it up? It gets left.

Since we're playing on a VTT, the DM then removes the light source from the character and makes it stationary. Then (because our DM is evil) the goblins move the fight around a corner...into darkness.

Now, you could ignore ALL of this and still have fun playing. But having to think about what you are holding, and what else you need your hands for, definitely adds complexity. I don't really track who says what on the forum (unless I don't have a choice because they say it 10,000 times) but if the people saying they ignore drawing/holding/picking up, spell components, encumbrance, etc. are the same ones who complain that 5e doesn't have tactics....well....

Precisely, this stuff comes up all the time in play...

Aldarc

Legend
Well, hand usage while loading crossbows is also important,and changing that via say a Feat is a big deal too.
But didn't you establish that most tables don't bother with feats? So maybe there are a number of tables that don't use feats that may be more inclined to handwave this since they don't interact with the feat rule that gives permission to change the norm.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

Yes.
Can you tell me where the holy symbol or length of iron was? If the guy had a mace and a blackened shield, would it still count?

The component was right here. I went ahead and bolded it for a second time, since apparently you missed the bold the first time.

"The biggest I can remember doing is hold Person, and again, "This guy gestures, etheral chains explode around you, roll a wisdom save" is generally what happens."

They gesture because it is dramatic, like in the movies, not because I actually am caring about the rules.
I don't care if you care about the rules. If the casters are gesturing, they are using somatic components. How you got there doesn't matter.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Psionics may not have involved components but the manifestation was never hidden if I recall. 3/3.5 e had various types of manifestation that made it obvious who the power was originating from so it's not like psions could just skirt about the battlefield manifesting powers without drawing attention. If they wanted to do that, they had to use metapsionics to hide the effects.

Yes. 3e had lights, sounds and I think smells. I don't think 2e had anything like that, though.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
But didn't you establish that most tables don't bother with feats? So maybe there are a number of tables that don't use feats that may be more inclined to handwave this since they don't interact with the feat rule that gives permission to change the norm.

Quite a few, I'm sure: one of the problems with Feats, right there, placing limitations to table flexibility where none are needed.

There are also probably plenty who simply follow the rules about ammo and the action economy without Feats mucking things up, as well: most, possibly, who can say otherwise?

Remove ads

Remove ads