Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells; Plus UA Returning To Monthly & Sage Advice Returning

Chaos Bolt is the first Sorcerer-only spell. Interesting.

What I've read so far looks really good. I like the idea of Ceremony quite a bit, but some of the effects (Investiture!) might be a little overpowered.

Lanliss

Explorer
I wish Unearthly Chorus had been around before, I would have used it with my Street Magician Bard/Wizard.

I can also see taking a Noble with Magic initiate for it, so that he has his own theme music when heading into town.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I just realized Healing Elixir isn't a Cleric spell, that's trippy.

I do like it, it's another option for turning unused slots into healing without the "are all those Goodberries making me fat?" conversations that inevitably happen. :)

Eubani

Legend
Any further work on weapons and armor is too much overhead but here have more and more spells. Keep Moving no double standard to be found here. This is starting to feel like a mix of earlier editions for martial characters.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Tis nice, though personally, we weren't looking for yet more options for spellcasters.
I don't know, this edition hasn't really had the major spell spam of earlier editions. I mean, there used to be new spells every month in Dragon, and pretty much every supplement would have several pages of new spells. 5e is fairly nicely restrained in its spell rollout, since it realizes new spells are inherently buffs to some (but not all) classes.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Any further work on weapons and armor is too much overhead but here have more and more spells. Keep Moving no double standard to be found here. This is starting to feel like a mix of earlier editions for martial characters.

I dont see them threatening to martial character, they are mostly flavor stuff. I cant see my fighter being jealous of the cleric who now has the power to marry people. For the moment we have new Invocations for warlocks, new spells for every spellcasters (not only mages, which is cool), maybe will have new martial manoeuvers for the battlemaster next week, but I doubt so, since they are ressources useful for only one archetype.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

Weapons and armor? Really? When I think of new nice things for martial characters, that's not exactly the tact that I think would be most helpful.

Aside from some handful of weapons, what are you looking for? Especially armor?

pukunui

Legend
Regarding the ceremony spell, I'd much prefer it if they simply expanded on the Performing Sacred Rites downtime activity. I feel like it would be a more appropriate way to model these ceremonies in the game. Having them all be part of a magic spell just doesn't sit right with me. If nothing else, it kind of makes the downtime activity obsolete.

Last edited by a moderator:

MiraMels

Explorer
Man, "Marriage" is going to make adventuring way more awkward...

Half-orc: "This is going to be our most difficult fight yet!"
Goliath: "I'm not sure we're strong enough!"
Cleric: "Would +2 AC help?"
Half-orc: "Yes!"
Cleric: "Great. You'll just have to marry each other."

I could see it being awkward at some tables, but it could cute and narratively satisfying at others. The Eve of the Final Battle "if not now, when?" marriage is a solid trope, and a plausible development for party members who were romantically involved during a campaign. It would only be awkward if the parties involved were just getting married for the buff.

It's just a shame the casting time is 1 hour, because it keeps you from pulling a Pirates of the Caribbean style mid-battle marriage.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases