Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells; Plus UA Returning To Monthly & Sage Advice Returning

Chaos Bolt is the first Sorcerer-only spell. Interesting. What I've read so far looks really good. I like the idea of Ceremony quite a bit, but some of the effects (Investiture!) might be a little overpowered.

Chaos Bolt is the first Sorcerer-only spell. Interesting.

What I've read so far looks really good. I like the idea of Ceremony quite a bit, but some of the effects (Investiture!) might be a little overpowered.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Zephyr Strike, the ranger-only one? Yes please. A replacement for Hunter's Mark so you can play a different type of ranger, more mobile and less single-target-only.

Not quite what I would think a "virtue" spell would do, but otherwise a fairly interesting selection. I like the thematics of toll the dead and infestation. I suspect I will give unearthly chorus to an evil NPC sooner rather than later.

Nice to finally get a sorcerer only spell. Hopefully a sign of things to come in the big book of content.

If the weekly UA's weren't ending in April, I would hope that they would have level 2-3 spells next week, 3-4 the week after, ect. but I suspect there are things we may want more than more spells during the month.

Gadget

Adventurer
Most of these look Okay. It seems they are trying to boost the cantrips available for various classes. Investiture seems like the option that would be chosen with the Ceremony spell most often, as most of the rest is just fluff. It is similar to other spells in older additions that did (Imbue with Spell Ability), and I don't remember that being overpowered. I remains to be seen how it functions in the 5e world.

Lanliss

Explorer
Most of these look Okay. It seems they are trying to boost the cantrips available for various classes. Investiture seems like the option that would be chosen with the Ceremony spell most often, as most of the rest is just fluff. It is similar to other spells in older additions that did (Imbue with Spell Ability), and I don't remember that being overpowered. I remains to be seen how it functions in the 5e world.

I think Ceremony is meant to be a "campaign" spell. You become the local priest, who blesses marriages, gives young adults advice on their rite of passage into adulthood, and maintain your community. Very much an NPC spell, IMO.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
First impressions.

Cause Fear overshadows intimidation, imo. Not a good thing. Should work more like the other spells that give advantage and a secondary effect.

Otherworldly Chorus (I'm on mobile, I think that was the name) looks an awful lot like the basis for a more Bardic feeling Bard class. Give me a handful of these, and let me cast them by spending Bardic Insp Dice, and I'll finally be into the 5e Bard.

Toll The Dead is great. I like that it is situationally better than EB, but I still think it could have a secondary effect. Also, I'd love Invocations for cantrips other than EB. This would be a great candidate. Then again, I'm not sure that the EB Invocations would be over powered if they boosted the warlock cantrip of your choice.

Ceremony is odd, and I wish paladins had ritual casting.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think Ceremony is meant to be a "campaign" spell. You become the local priest, who blesses marriages, gives young adults advice on their rite of passage into adulthood, and maintain your community. Very much an NPC spell, IMO.

I disagree. I think it will be taken by plenty of PCs, and used to good effect. Including as part of making a living, making good with locals, etc.

And in undead heavy campaigns.

Hand of Radiance might be the first damaging cantrip for Clerics outside of Sacred Flame. Though not as useful as Sacred Flame. I wonder if 4d8 damage at level 17 is a typo though, since everywhere else it's d6's.

Toll the Dead, I like since Necromancers should get more than just Chill Touch for cantrip choices.

Infestation is another neat one, with it's random forced movement.

Unearthly Chorus, I guess that's a good way to start a random musical number as a Bard...

Ceremony is good for a cleric to have roleplaying wise.

Lanliss

Explorer
I disagree. I think it will be taken by plenty of PCs, and used to good effect. Including as part of making a living, making good with locals, etc.

And in undead heavy campaigns.

I didn't mean that it wouldn't be usable by PCs, that was referenced by my first sentence where I said it was a "Campaign" spell. It isn't something you take if your only goal is a one-shot dungeon, except for maybe the marriage part for a +2 AC during the entire session. However, I think it will serve better for the wise village elder, or local priest, in a town. You have a PC going on the Rite? Seek some advice from the Elder. You and your loved one want to get married? Elder. Go to the local priest for Holy Water, or to atone for your sins. A single spell with so much flavor will add a lot to a Town Priest NPC.

Remove ads

Remove ads