Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells; Plus UA Returning To Monthly & Sage Advice Returning

Chaos Bolt is the first Sorcerer-only spell. Interesting. What I've read so far looks really good. I like the idea of Ceremony quite a bit, but some of the effects (Investiture!) might be a little overpowered.

Chaos Bolt is the first Sorcerer-only spell. Interesting.

What I've read so far looks really good. I like the idea of Ceremony quite a bit, but some of the effects (Investiture!) might be a little overpowered.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Definitely the most useful of these they have done for a while.

I think several, most?, of these are coming from past editions.

Ceremony was originally in Dragon with a set of then new cleric spells (declared official at the time) before UA. Probably because in B/X & AD&D they got so few. Will look up the details tomorrow.

Dragon #58, published in 1982, had several "official" new cleric spells.

These where in Leanord Lakofka's "Leomund's Tiny Hut" column, and had been endorsed by Gygax himself.

One reason for this was simply the low number of spells clerics got in the AD&D PHB.

These included Ceremony, (animal) Messenger, Enthrall, Meld into Stone, and Water Walking. Some, like Remove Paralysis, are now rolled into other 5E spells. There were also other ritual type ones, like making a holy symbol.

Some, like Magic Stone, have been in other editions, but I don't think are in 5E. (or are they?)

Then there is Combine, which lets a group of clerics pool their power.

That just seems like trouble.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
What kind of parallel dimension did I wander into where people are seriously arguing for wizards to have even more power and step on more toes?

But anyway, to hell with the fluff ( and to be honest none of you would care for a discussion on what black magic is in relation to real world religions, nor would it be allowed here) the reason warlocks and wizards shouldn't get this spell is simple healing economy. Healing is a daily resource, warlock spell slots are not. And although wizard spell slots start out as daily resources, they can bypass that, and the way this spell is written allows them to double up on two days worth of spell slots, and that is outright broken.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Nah, it's fine. There is no reason whey wizards and warlocks can't have this spell, in spite of what the doomsayers are saying.

Eubani

Legend
I think all spellcasters should have strongly defined spell lists that also defines what specific types of magic can and cannot be used. Unfortunately only martial characters get that level of scrutiny. As long as Wizards are allowed to have spells that cover all contingencies to choose from and fighters are not allowed utility or agency there will always be a gulf between the classes. The more spells that get added to the game the more the gulf between casters and martial characters widens.

Lanliss

Explorer
What kind of parallel dimension did I wander into where people are seriously arguing for wizards to have even more power and step on more toes?

But anyway, to hell with the fluff ( and to be honest none of you would care for a discussion on what black magic is in relation to real world religions, nor would it be allowed here) the reason warlocks and wizards shouldn't get this spell is simple healing economy. Healing is a daily resource, warlock spell slots are not. And although wizard spell slots start out as daily resources, they can bypass that, and the way this spell is written allows them to double up on two days worth of spell slots, and that is outright broken.

Aside from the exploit mentioned earlier (Make elixirs, short rest, make elixirs, repeat as many time as you want) What is broken about Warlock getting a 2d4+2 spell, that isn't even at will? How much healing can a 1st level War Cleric pump out per long rest? I am guessing it is more than 6d4+6, in which case it is not at all broken for Warlock to have this. I still agree that wizard doesn't need it, except maybe as a spell restricted to Alchemist.

Hussar

Legend
I'd point out that healing isn't a daily resource. Fighters can heal on a short rest. Never minding that you can spend hit dice on a short rest, with potential bonuses from the bard.

So, if a bard can heal on a short rest, what's the problem with a wizard doing it?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
How much healing can a 1st level War Cleric pump out per long rest?

Two Cure Wounds using a level one spell slot. So 2d8+4(assuming a +2 modifier).

I'd point out that healing isn't a daily resource. Fighters can heal on a short rest.

I had forgotten about the purple Dragon Knight, mostly because it wasn't received well by Warlord fans. Still, I don't foresee people clamoring to give one of the the last unique Fighter things to casters.

Never minding that you can spend hit dice on a short rest
HD are an interesting resource, they are refreshed daily, unless you spend more than half of them, in which case they are effectively a two-day resource.

So, if a bard can heal on a short rest, what's the problem with a wizard doing it?
Bards don't directly heal with song of rest. They make spending HD more effective.

Lanliss

Explorer
Two Cure Wounds using a level one spell slot. So 2d8+4(assuming a +2 modifier).

I had forgotten about the purple Dragon Knight, mostly because it wasn't received well by Warlord fans. Still, I don't foresee people clamoring to give one of the the last unique Fighter things to casters.

HD are an interesting resource, they are refreshed daily, unless you spend more than half of them, in which case they are effectively a two-day resource.

Bards don't directly heal with song of rest. They make spending HD more effective.

So, a level 1 war cleric and a level 2 warlock could heal about the same amount, assuming this is all they spent their slots on. I wonder what the scaling is like over the levels. Warlock would max out at 24d4+24, iirc, with 4 slots per short rest. Unless they spend it only on themselves, and have the Greenlords gift Invocation from the Warlock UA, which would give them a massive 120 healing between long rests. Although, that is 12 actions, or 6 hasted, to not even meet 2 Heal Spells that take 2 actions.

Remove ads

Remove ads