Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells; Plus UA Returning To Monthly & Sage Advice Returning

Chaos Bolt is the first Sorcerer-only spell. Interesting.

What I've read so far looks really good. I like the idea of Ceremony quite a bit, but some of the effects (Investiture!) might be a little overpowered.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I still have a knee-jerk reaction to wizards getting a healing spell, even one that just creates a potion.

For me it just breaks one of the big distinguishing factors of Arcane Magic. Arcane Magic does not heal.

That's what makes it different from Divine and Primal magic, and the more I think about it, I'd rather just have the crafting of potions be in the crafting rules so anybody can do that with the correct time and resources (really, we desperately need those new crafting rules to replace the crappy ones we have)

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to allow this spell. Potions need to be crafted, you can't just create one magically (barring the artificer who is the crafting master and therefor makes it look like magic due to his speed)

I'm not taking a stand on either side of the "should wizards/warlocks heal or not" question. I'm just curious how the people who say "Arcane magic shouldn't heal" have reconciled the bard in their games.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm not taking a stand on either side of the "should wizards/warlocks heal or not" question. I'm just curious how the people who say "Arcane magic shouldn't heal" have reconciled the bard in their games.
It's easy. The bard is not arcane.

Bards gather their spells from a variety of sources that could match what we think of as arcane, primal, divine, granted, or tap into ancient, long-forgotten sources. The bards themselves may be wholly or partly unaware of the origins, or have sworn to keep the knowledge secret.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

Chaosmancer

Legend

I forget Bards are considered arcane.

I think of them as using the magic of music and words which is somehow different to my mind.

It's easy. The bard is not arcane.

Bards gather their spells from a variety of sources that could match what we think of as arcane, primal, divine, granted, or tap into ancient, long-forgotten sources. The bards themselves may be wholly or partly unaware of the origins, or have sworn to keep the knowledge secret.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

PHB p. 205:

"The spells of wizards, warlocks, sorcerers, and bards are commonly called arcane magic."

So, yes, the bard is arcane. That said, that passage indicates that in 5e, the difference between arcane and divine magic is pretty much based entirely on whether you tap into the Weave directly through your own understanding (arcane) or through some sort of divine power (divine). The nature of those spells are irrelevant to whether they're arcane or divine. In 5e, the arcane/divine divide is downplayed, more or less, and who has what spell is delineated entirely by the character's class (and subclass), which is fine by me. I've never had a problem with arcane magic healing. I DO have a problem specifically with wizards healing.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
PHB p. 205:

"The spells of wizards, warlocks, sorcerers, and bards are commonly called arcane magic."

So, yes, the bard is arcane. That said, that passage indicates that in 5e, the difference between arcane and divine magic is pretty much based entirely on whether you tap into the Weave directly through your own understanding (arcane) or through some sort of divine power (divine). The nature of those spells are irrelevant to whether they're arcane or divine. In 5e, the arcane/divine divide is downplayed, more or less, and who has what spell is delineated entirely by the character's class (and subclass), which is fine by me. I've never had a problem with arcane magic healing. I DO have a problem specifically with wizards healing.
Why?

I'd point out that healing isn't a daily resource. Fighters can heal on a short rest. Never minding that you can spend hit dice on a short rest, with potential bonuses from the bard.
Multiclass cleric/warlock or warlock with Magic Initiate (cure wounds) can use warlock slots to heal on a short rest. That's the big one.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

I'm of the opinion (with perhaps not much to back it up) that the bard is a blend of arcane and divine. Songs/Words reach back into the prehistory of the cosmos, tapping into both sides of the con so to speak.

JMHO.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases