Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Survey: Sidekicks

For familiars (which I don't recall being mentioned in the UA), the sidekick things could work, but I think all the Big Evils would make the familiars be experts (focus on charisma) so that they could persuade the damned fools....I mean mortal "masters" to do things that the Big Evils want.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Fido the dog is already restricted to one sidekick option, unless someone casts awaken on him. So obviously the current list of sidekick options isn't a good fit for the beasties.

I am not saying that Fido should be casting spells, but it does seem like there could have been a beast variant on the expert tract (trained animal or something like that). In addition to the time-honored gimmick of "I trained my pet to help me steal stuff" (I mean the trailers for Aladdin are in theaters now, so it is kind of timely), dogs and pigs can be trained to be better trackers than untrained animals, and I am sure there are a few other things that I haven't thought of.

For a third tract, there could be something like a tiefling or aasimar (or even sorcerer) (Fido discovers he is 1/8 blink dog or something), but powers rather than spells. If dogs had wish spells the world would be drowning in bacon......

I'm fine with just allowing beasts to take the expert class, honestly.

Remove ads