D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Travelers of the Multiverse

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/travelers-multiverse Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.45.04 PM.png

Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

Chaosmancer

Legend
Reading your posts, it did sound like your position, because I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) it looked like you wanted Spelljammer/Planescape in one book.

I don't care if they publish them in one book, but it does seem more likely that they will do a combined setting of Placescape and Spelljammer, maybe even adding Star Frontiers, instead of having two incredibly similar settings released as two different books.

But that isn't prefering one to be published and the other, not, it just seems like the most likely move.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Not really speaking to you at all, but to the calls for "Planejammer" as a hybrid of the two, which are present in this thread.

Does that somehow mean that people don't want one of them and prefer the other? A lot of people have been saying that they merge seamlessly and did when they first came out (I don't think that is exactly true, but I can see it working as I said) but I didn't see anyone saying anything like "X is better, and so Y shouldn't be published" which is what people were responding too.

Unless it is someone who is blocking me making that claim?

Chaosmancer

Legend
Largely because it makes it way easier for specific factions to control trade. It's like the troll sitting on a bridge demanding a toll... if the troll doesn't like you, or you don't pay the toll, you can't pass.

It doesn't prevent trade, but it puts limits on it that do not exist for Spelljamming (or at least, are harder to enforce for Spelljamming).

I'd agree with harder to enforce in terms of Spelljammer, but you just mark up the price to account for the Troll. And make sure that the Troll likes you enough.

I guess I don't see this as a big deal because generally IRL one of two things happened. The troll was a 90 lbs weakling who was bowled over and the company took the bridge. The Troll was a 800 lbs super troll who everyone played nice with and made very very wealthy. The Factions are clearly not weaklings, so people are playing nice with them, but that isn't much different than having to play nice with the Kingdom who controlled that section of the river, or the Port City that was the next safe harbor on the journey.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't care if they publish them in one book, but it does seem more likely that they will do a combined setting of Placescape and Spelljammer, maybe even adding Star Frontiers, instead of having two incredibly similar settings released as two different books.

But that isn't prefering one to be published and the other, not, it just seems like the most likely move.
OK, I expect that both included in the broader cosmology of D&D, if that's what you mean. But they aren't similar, and don't cover the same ground, so I see no reasont hey would mix them. Each is sufficiently distinct to support a full product with close to zero overlap. No Planars in Spelljammer, after all.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Does that somehow mean that people don't want one of them and prefer the other? A lot of people have been saying that they merge seamlessly and did when they first came out (I don't think that is exactly true, but I can see it working as I said) but I didn't see anyone saying anything like "X is better, and so Y shouldn't be published" which is what people were responding too.

Unless it is someone who is blocking me making that claim?
TBH, I suppose someone posting here might have you on block...?

They fit together the same way each fits with Ravenloft: different places with different elements, but can be connected as desired.

There is no necessary conflict between them, and I expect to se each in their own products sooner rather than later.

Remove ads

Remove ads