D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Travelers of the Multiverse

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/travelers-multiverse Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.45.04 PM.png

Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Again, that's a cap on rolling. That just means that you are jacked up enough to almost definitely succeed on a dc30 task. Again, I'm not claiming that there can't be DCs higher than 30... there's just barely any reason to consider them.
Point being that you find the cap by finding what's the highest possible DC to hit. If it's not possible in the entire game to get more than 50, that's clearly the cap. The highest ones you should worry about as the DM are 30. Just like the book says.

I'm just trying to end this tangent as quickly as possible to get back to how awesome the plasmoids are.
Depending on the check, some classes/boons/etc allow abilities higher than 20.

What's the highest athletics check possible while wearing one of the Giant Strength Belts?
20th-level barbarians have STR24 +7.

Storm giant is STR29 +9.

No idea if there are feats or magic items or otherwise that give you bonuses to athletics. It's why I used picking locks. There's a magic item that gives you +5 on the check. Even a girdle of storm giant strength only gives you a +4 above the normal cap. So that would be a total of 49 for athletics.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Agreed. I cut-and-pasted the Plasmoid into Homebrew Races on my D&D Beyond so that I could make one. First time I've done that with a UA, so there's that! I'll be playing it as early as TOMORROW!
I never knew that I wanted to play a Sentient Slime Mold, but now I really want to play one. Them being any class could be interesting, and they can emulate a ton of stuff from pop culture.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I never knew that I wanted to play a Sentient Slime Mold, but now I really want to play one. Them being any class could be interesting, and they can emulate a ton of stuff from pop culture.
Me too. Y'see... my doppelganger character was killed last week. I've convinced my DM that it lived, but it's been totally destabilized. Now every time it tries to form up into a full humanoid, it just kinda can't quite get there.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
We agree at the end there, yes, but I think that you misunderstand me in the earlier bits.

I believe that the table you posted goes to 40 precisely because you may be adding 10 in a high magic campaign. Sure, it's possible to roll that high without, but it'll happen more often when you do. In fact, it'll happen so often, that it makes sense to make the table go that high.

I've noticed during this discussion that some posters have conflated the ability to roll higher than 30 with there being DCs higher than 30. Those are two different things. In order to reliably succeed at a dc of 30 half the time, you have to be able to roll a 40. Doesn't mean you're going to find tasks with DCs harder than 30, just that you'll succeed on them half the time.
I don't think that's right. I think it goes to 41+, because as I showed earlier in the thread, you can hit 41+ with expertise and Guidance. The option to add or subtract 10 just makes the roll easier or harder.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
As an aside, I always find it funny when a player says, "I hit AC 27. Does that hit?"

Yes. It hits every monster in the game.

So, yes... it hits this orc, too.

(I'm somewhat kidding - I appreciate that they're not metagaming, but still... it's funny.)
Or when they say, "I rolled a 17." and it hits, then a few players later they aske me if a 19 hits. 🤦‍♂️

Remove ads

Remove ads