Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Wizards & Warlocks -- Hexblades, Raven Queens, and Lore Mastery!

Master of Hexes Starting at 14th level, you can use your Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but when you apply it to a new target, the curse immediately ends on the previous target. Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

Master of Hexes
Starting at 14th level, you can use your
Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but
when you apply it to a new target, the curse
immediately ends on the previous target.

Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

phantomK9

Explorer
Why are both pacts basically with the Raven Queen?
Not quite.
We have a pact with the Raven Queen and a pact with stuff from the Raven Queen's junk drawer....

Sorry, that seems a bit nonconstructive. It's just the more I look at the Hexblade, the more I'm not liking the concept. Mechanically it may be fine, still going through those, but the patron is a non-starter for me.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Queen’s Right Hand
Finger of Death once per day. Time to start gathering your own zombie horde. Which is wierd, because the Raven Queen was anti-undeath iirc.
It mentions in the patron description that the Raven Queen doesn't like intelligent undead, but views zombies and skeletons as merely automatons.

zaratan

First Post
Warlocks don´t have 9th Level Spell Slots, the maximum ist 5th Level.

Curse Bringer, as mentioned, can´t be used with the Hexblade´s CHA-Attack-Modifier, because you get a Greatsword.

I didn't said you can use Curse Bringer with Cha-attack, just said you can crit with 19-20 and he can nova better than paladin.
You don't need to use warlock spell slots to that boost. A 17 valor bard/3 warlock can burd his 9th lvl spell slot for this.

Proxxy55

First Post
/facepalm

Speaking of unhelpful.

Pact of the Rider. Of course, for someone who wants something a little different than a familiar.

Pact of Gold. For someone who is interested in a specific aspect of treasure.

Pact of Blood. That's completely like a weapon. As is pact of the body. C'mon.

Pact of the Staff. Which I just listed as being an alternative to Pact of the Tome- a spellcasting-centric pact.

I listed six (SIX) different pact boons off of the top of my head, of which one (1) can charitably be described as a variant of a magic weapon (Shell/Shield), and you claim that they all are.

I have to admit, when you start with the assumption that it is INCONCEIVABLE that anyone can possibly come up with new pacts, you will never be disappointed when there aren't any new ones.

And I take back the apology.

View attachment 81130

Oh my word, you still don't get it. It's not enough to make some very vague, general ideas for new warlock pact boons. Thinking in that way is how you get power and feature creep. You need to actually what this pacts actually do, and how to make sure they are distinct from the current ones.

Which you didn't, by the way. Your general ideas are not sufficient enough distinction. You didn't say how the Staff, for instance, would be sufficiently different from Tome. You gave no hint on what Blood or Gold would do. And how is Rider different than just a specialized form of Chain? Couldn't it just be replaced with an invocation, and be perfectly fine?

Come on, think a little. DnD is a role playing GAME. And, though I'm sure some people pretend to the contrary, the GAME part means that mechanics are important. You can't just ignore them, and pretend like a pithy idea will make a good class option.

Opposition01

First Post
I didn't said you can use Curse Bringer with Cha-attack, just said you can crit with 19-20 and he can nova better than paladin.
You don't need to use warlock spell slots to that boost. A 17 valor bard/3 warlock can burd his 9th lvl spell slot for this.

OR an Archfey patron bladelock can do it from range....

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I *despise* the spell list on the Hexblade. It's a bunch of overlapping spells that all require concentration. On top of the Warlock standard of Hex requiring concentration.

Hitdice

First Post
Not quite.
We have a pact with the Raven Queen and a pact with stuff from the Raven Queen's junk drawer....

Sorry, that seems a bit nonconstructive. It's just the more I look at the Hexblade, the more I'm not liking the concept. Mechanically it may be fine, still going through those, but the patron is a non-starter for me.

It does seem a bit single pact-ey. I really can't see anyone coming to the table with Hexblade patron, but book or tome pact, just to mix things up. Not that I mind some sort of Bound Object patron, but Hexblade feels overly combat corner case-ey.

That made sense, right?

76512390ag12

First Post
Not quite.

I don't know why they blurred the Hexblade with the raven queen. Not that I minded really, I am just so happy to have Elric join us in 5e.

Posted by C4-D4RS on the MetroLiberal HoloNet

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads