Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Wizards & Warlocks -- Hexblades, Raven Queens, and Lore Mastery!

Master of Hexes
Starting at 14th level, you can use your
Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but
when you apply it to a new target, the curse
immediately ends on the previous target.

Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I was not expecting that. So I guess you can be a tomelock with Hexblade patron and get the best of both worlds. New invocations are nice.

Is the lore mastery wizard the generalist wizard or the sorcerer wizard (or both)?

Have to digest this for a bit.....

Mystic next week?
It is both: metamagicish abilities fulfill the generalist archetype. Also, more mechanical multiclassing via subclasses on display...

We may see Mystic next week: but we don't really know for sure the shape of their plans, in terms of what they have queued up for the Big Book of Crunch: we may see more DM centered rules, we may see Mystic, we may see races...

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

Thurmas

Explorer
This may not all be entirely balanced, but I think it is the most creative UA they have done yet. This might be my favorite they have released so far, plus it might the most expansive in terms of new options. The Wizard might encroach a bit on the Sorcerer, but I think of all the Wizard schools so far released, this is my favorite.

The Hexblade also makes me want to play a Pact of Blade Warlock for the first time.

OB1

Jedi Master
Not sure I like using Cha as a hit/dmg modifier, seems to lead down the path of subclasses that tailor everything to a specific ability stat, and to me is the worst kind of power creep. That said, I'm willing to have an open mind if someone can show me how being charming leads to hitting harder in combat.

Everything else I love. I do hope that WoC has structured these UA releases to hide some surprises for us. Sorcerer could really use something similar to the new Wizard tradition, so perhaps we could see a version of that in the same way there is a Fighter and Rouge Scout.

Hathorym

Explorer
Lore Master with the Elemental Adept feat? Brutal
1. Choose a elemental damage spell with the dimensions you like
2. Change it to your favorite element.
3. Change the saving throw to Intelligence
4. Spend a 3rd level slot to increase the DC by 2
5. Cast it.
6. Profit.

I think I'm in love.

Ganymede81

First Post
I would absolutely take the Claw of Acamar on my Warlock, if only it didn't have to manifest as a stupid flail.

Why not simply allow any pact weapon you create to gain the special property of this and similar invocations without locking the warlock into a specific weapon choice?

Xeviat

Hero
Definitely a fan. I'll look at them more in depth later. I just did a read on my phone. But I'm happy. More invocations makes me wish for more Battlemaster maneuvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
This may not all be entirely balanced, but I think it is the most creative UA they have done yet. This might be my favorite they have released so far, plus it might the most expansive in terms of new options. The Wizard might encroach a bit on the Sorcerer, but I think of all the Wizard schools so far released, this is my favorite.

The Hexblade also makes me want to play a Pact of Blade Warlock for the first time.
It's funny, but the Hexblade is a fantastic patron for an Eldritch Blast focused warlock. At 6th level with 18 Cha, they could be doing 1d10+7 twice to a cursed target, 19-20 crit, and ignore everything but total cover thanks to the shadow hound. That's not even factoring in the hex spell or using bonus actions for Chilling/Burning Hex invocations.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Not sure I like using Cha as a hit/dmg modifier, seems to lead down the path of subclasses that tailor everything to a specific ability stat, and to me is the worst kind of power creep. That said, I'm willing to have an open mind if someone can show me how being charming leads to hitting harder in combat.

Let's try this: As an hexblade, you're bound to a sentient weapon with its own will and desires. The blade is capable of hitting per itself, but your own conviction/presence/charm may convince the blade to strike when YOU will it.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Alchemical Casting - hate the name; it's "alchemy" in a very abstract sense, not one most players are going to associate with the word.

And while I don't hate the actual mechanics of the feature, the properties seem more fitting of a war mage type subclass, not a bookish Lore Master. I mean, fireballs and lightning bolts with a range of a mile? Sounds like fantasy artillery to me. Just send in the Rogue Scouts as forward observers.

Thurmas

Explorer
It's funny, but the Hexblade is a fantastic patron for an Eldritch Blast focused warlock. At 6th level with 18 Cha, they could be doing 1d10+7 twice to a cursed target, 19-20 crit, and ignore everything but total cover thanks to the shadow hound. That's not even factoring in the hex spell or using bonus actions for Chilling/Burning Hex invocations.

That's true. I completely glossed over the fact that none of the class features require you to hit it with a melee attack. An eldritch blast based Hexblade would be insane.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases