Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Wizards & Warlocks -- Hexblades, Raven Queens, and Lore Mastery!

Master of Hexes Starting at 14th level, you can use your Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but when you apply it to a new target, the curse immediately ends on the previous target. Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

Master of Hexes
Starting at 14th level, you can use your
Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but
when you apply it to a new target, the curse
immediately ends on the previous target.

Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

Thurmas

Explorer
Again, I really like the Lore Wizard. If I were to play a Wizard tomorrow, I would try to use that one.

That being said, I can see the overpoweredness of it. I wonder if you could balance it a little by instead of changing any spell to any damage type, you gain the ability at 1st level to select 1 damage type, and you have the option to change any spells damage to that damage type if you want to. Now if you want to run around as Elsa, every spell can be a cold spell. Maybe add another damage type or two at later levels to represent the studying and learning aspect.

dave2008

Legend
Not sure I like using Cha as a hit/dmg modifier, seems to lead down the path of subclasses that tailor everything to a specific ability stat, and to me is the worst kind of power creep. That said, I'm willing to have an open mind if someone can show me how being charming leads to hitting harder in combat.

Charisma is not just charm in D&D, it is also, if not moreso, somethin akin to strength of will / presence. Orcus has a Cha of 25 and it is not because of his social graces.

flametitan

Explorer
In terms of pact boons: What about a boon that gave the warlock a couple extra long rest slots, a la a 1/3rd caster? I'm sure it wouldn't be immediately balanced, but it could work out, if done right.

Sacrosanct

Legend
This is garbage. They've had an extra week to get it right, and they don't get a free pass just because it's free material. The lack of competency of the designers, or their arrogance at just outright ignoring my desires is unacceptable.

Am I doing it right? ;)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
This is garbage. They've had an extra week to get it right, and they don't get a free pass just because it's free material. The lack of competency of the designers, or their arrogance at just outright ignoring my desires is unacceptable.

Am I doing it right? ;)

You forgot to also ask for the immediate removal of one or more of the designer from the company's payroll. You may also want to add an insult to one of the previous edition, its always a sucess.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Do the new Pact of the Blade features seem strictly better than the Paladin's Divine Smite?
Is there enough of an opportunity cost in taking one of those invocations that this is okay?
I'm not certain.

I'm also conflicted on the Hexblade being able to use Charisma for attack/damage. My favorite character I played in 4th edition was a Tiefling Paladin with a feat that let him use Charisma for melee weapon attacks and granted the largest mass taunt the Paladin could get (burst 5/25 feet Divine Smite, I believe it was). Even though I loved playing this character, I and everyone in my group recognized how unbelievably silly it was for the character to be using his Charisma as the attack stat with basic weapon attacks (of course, some of the encounter/at-will/daily powers let you use Charisma as well but they were clearly showing some magic being used in the process).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads