Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Wizards & Warlocks -- Hexblades, Raven Queens, and Lore Mastery!

Master of Hexes Starting at 14th level, you can use your Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but when you apply it to a new target, the curse immediately ends on the previous target. Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?
Master of Hexes
Starting at 14th level, you can use your
Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but
when you apply it to a new target, the curse
immediately ends on the previous target.

Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

jrowland

First Post
Forgive me for being offended by this, but that is relatively insulting to people who like the sorcerer.

"It isn't a problem of being under-powered or having another class take all your toys. You're just obsolete these days and that's the way it is"
Well, you should be offended if that was what I said. I was saying the reason for sorcerer is spontaneous casting and that is no longer a valid reason. I go on to point out that WotC gave it all the metamagic, likely to to give it a reason. I do think the sorcerer is underpowered. That *IS* the entirety of the problem (I use odd duck). It needs an overhaul, and I think WotC knows it, thus the numerous sorcerer builds.

Ranger is another one.

Try not to take offense where none is thrown. Sorcerer has a problem. WotC won't fix it if we can't acknowledge it.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Well, you should be offended if that was what I said. I was saying the reason for sorcerer is spontaneous casting and that is no longer a valid reason. I go on to point out that WotC gave it all the metamagic, likely to to give it a reason. I do think the sorcerer is underpowered. That *IS* the entirety of the problem (I use odd duck). It needs an overhaul, and I think WotC knows it, thus the numerous sorcerer builds.

Ranger is another one.

Try not to take offense where none is thrown. Sorcerer has a problem. WotC won't fix it if we can't acknowledge it.

Being an "odd duck" and having the "spontaneous casting" trope being an invalid "reason" for the sorcerer are not saying the sorcerer as a class is unneeded and invalid. You are reading too much into what I said.

Sorry. But you've gotta admit these lines:

Sorcerer was a fix for a problem/playstyle that is no longer valid. Sorcerer is the odd duck, imho, not the wizard, and not the Lore Master Archetype (which fits fine with other classes sans sorcerer, and other wizards).

The odd duck is the sorcerer.

Sounds a lot like that...

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I agree... perhaps the vision is of a woman's hand penetrating from the surface of a glassy lake, clutching a pristine longsword (though Arthurian Legend skews strongly Archfey as well).

I remember Merlin. That one scene was worth the binge watch.

Chaosmancer

Legend

Ranger is another one.

Okay, that is much more clear than what I thought you said the first time.

I apologize

However, I'm not sure I see WoTC moving on the issue of the sorcerer with how the UA went. Perhaps they'll surprise us, but they've put a lot to make the sorcerer "the metamagic class" and I don't think they've indicated a shift in that stance yet.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Well except for exploring a metamagic-lite wizard sub-class...thus the whole discussion in this read re:sorcerer.

Which reads more like "we're making wizards better than ever" rather than "we recognize the sorcerer has some faults and are looking at how to address those"

jrowland

First Post
Which reads more like "we're making wizards better than ever" rather than "we recognize the sorcerer has some faults and are looking at how to address those"

True. It does look that way. It could even be worse: Lore Master could be the placeholder name for the sorcerer archetype of wizards.

Personally I think its on par with recent UA's: Mishmashing of classes (Radiant Soul as sorcerer mashed cleric, Arcane Domain as cleric mashed wizard, Lore master as Wizard mashed sorcerer, etc)

The Truth(tm) is somewhere else entirely, I am sure.

I don't object to a warlock-lite or sorcerer-lite version of the wizard, as long as it is a "-lite" version, which the loremaster is patently not.

The warlock-lite wizard practically writes itself: you are a wizard, you make a deal, you get a familiar, if you tell the familiar the spells, you don't need to write them down in a spell book (telling the familiar the spells takes as long as writing them down), if the familiar dies one day, it will show up again the next day, and here are some spells the familiar already knows, which you can cast as soon as you can cast spells of that level.

Sascha

First Post
That's true. I completely glossed over the fact that none of the class features require you to hit it with a melee attack. An eldritch blast based Hexblade would be insane.

That's true, but It's not necesarily true. Every Warlock has the option to take de Spell Sniper Feat that makes the same effect and gives you another Cantrip.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads