Unfinished Business

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Erik, can I play in your game?

:D

My players have learned to become obsessive note-takers. My NPCs are always long-term characters -- pretty much ANYONE can turn out to be important a year or two down the line. And they've been burned any number of times because they didn't know who someone was or what they might be after.

I allow an Int check to remember stuff -- I reckon it's like Knowledge (own experiences) and set the DC according to how long ago/minor the memory might be -- on the basis that since there's often a one-week gap in playing time when in-game there's no delay at all, their characters will naturally have better recollections of the past than they. I also keep a more-or-less running update on the website Journal that serves as a storehouse of factual information. They're allowed to refer to the website during gameplay so I make sure that whatever's on there is stuff they should generally know.

All my players have binders in which they keep their notes, and most of them use plastic sleeves to keep the papers tidy. They've done up Visio diagrams to try and work out relationships between various groups, made their own illustrations, all sorts of stuff. They have a lot of fun with it. Every time some new notion gets revealed, there's a mad scramble as everyone rummages through their notes looking for connections and potential revelations.

Barsoom is five real-life years running now (about one and a half game years), and they're still dealing with bad guys from the very first game session. They've learned the hard way that not knowing what's what is fatal.

I think the first step to getting your players to remember stuff is to make it matter. Reward them for remembering, and make it clear that forgetting will cost them.

Voadam

Legend
In the past if it had been a while since the last game I also have done "pigs in space" e-mails before the game to get people in the mood and remind them of the plot and some specifics.

They will go like this

"When last we left our band of brave adventurers they were shipwrecked stranded on a jungle island by the necromancer X. The island is ruled by the iron hand of Kali worshippers who serve the high priest Y. The party found out Y has standing orders to kill all outlanders when the priestesses betrayed and attacked them, but they found succor with the thieves guild ruled by the rebel weretiger lord Z who wants the party to assassinate Y and fulfill a prophecy that he can only die at the hand of an outlander using the W. So now the party is desperately trying to find the W using a lead garnered from one of Z's contacts."

Erik Mona said:
I tend to keep track of my NPCs in excel spreadsheets, but for my next campaign (which I hope to start immediately after Christmas) I plan to give each player a nice address book with different sections for each letter of the alphabet. That way, it'll be easier for them to take notes on the NPCs (and find them later), and they'll have a leather-bound, handy keepsake when the campaign is over.
That idea is so rockin'. I just might hve to do that next time I start a new campaign again.

jerichothebard

First Post
Erik Mona said:
I tend to keep track of my NPCs in excel spreadsheets, but for my next campaign (which I hope to start immediately after Christmas) I plan to give each player a nice address book with different sections for each letter of the alphabet. That way, it'll be easier for them to take notes on the NPCs (and find them later), and they'll have a leather-bound, handy keepsake when the campaign is over.

--Erik Mona

That's a really cool idea.

Remove ads