• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unpopular opinions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The early days of the Star Wars novels were way better than most of the movies and TV series that came after them.
Splinter in the Mind's Eye is rough. It was all we had back then, but it was rough.
Doctor Who is the best sci-fi franchise.
I remember picking up a 1970s Doctor Who novel (dinosaurs running around in London) and there was an extended tongue in cheek rant, I think representing a panel at a science fiction convention, that gleefully tore into both Star Wars and Star Trek as inferior franchises and it was glorious.

Celebrim

Legend
Moral code. The way the universe should be run even if you don't exist.

The chaotic take is that if you don't exist then no rules apply to you anyway. There is only a rule for how the things that exist should behave, and that rule is intrinsic to the things themselves. The chaotic take is that everything has its own rules that aren't necessarily shared, because meaning is created by the individual thing and not imposed upon it, and because the differences between the things are more important than the commonalities and override them. This is true whether you are chaotic good or chaotic evil. The only difference is really to the degree you think you ought to respect others individuality as much as you wish your own to be respected.

Certainly no chaotic thinks that the universe should be "run" in the sense of a single overarching authority imposing rules on everything, except maybe chaotic evil types that think that authority should be themselves.

Personality The way you act in the universe.

No. That's just too vague to be meaningful.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
It is completely okay -- appropriate even -- for their to be a massive power* disparity between martials and casters, particularly fighters and wizards.

*"Power" being "ability to impact the world" not "damage per round."

nevin

Hero
Splinter in the Mind's Eye is rough. It was all we had back then, but it was rough.

I remember picking up a 1970s Doctor Who novel (dinosaurs running around in London) and there was an extended tongue in cheek rant, I think representing a panel at a science fiction convention, that gleefully tore into both Star Wars and Star Trek as inferior franchises and it was glorious.
sigh splinter of the minds eye is still better than anything lucas ever came up with (too be fair it was written by an accomplished author who understands how to craft stories) but without him it wouldn't have happened.

Dr Who my childhood favorite. It may just not survive the cancer caused by giving it big budgets and expectations.

nevin

Hero
The chaotic take is that if you don't exist then no rules apply to you anyway. There is only a rule for how the things that exist should behave, and that rule is intrinsic to the things themselves. The chaotic take is that everything has its own rules that aren't necessarily shared, because meaning is created by the individual thing and not imposed upon it, and because the differences between the things are more important than the commonalities and override them. This is true whether you are chaotic good or chaotic evil. The only difference is really to the degree you think you ought to respect others individuality as much as you wish your own to be respected.

Certainly no chaotic thinks that the universe should be "run" in the sense of a single overarching authority imposing rules on everything, except maybe chaotic evil types that think that authority should be themselves.

No. That's just too vague to be meaningful.
If you don't exist you don't exist. Non argument. CN I'd agree the only rule is exist as you want. A chaotic person may have rules. Chaos has none. The rules are from thier personality and/or beliefs in Good or evil.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Yeah. I was meaning when we had Kevin J. Anderson, Timothy Zahn, and Michael A. Stackpole writing their main Star Wars books. Thrawn. Mara Jade. Jedi Academy. X-Wing. Rogue Squadron. I, Jedi. chef’s kiss
By Harlan Ellison. You can find the whole text online with a quick search.

nevin

Hero
But all that being said. A CN character could be the most kindly helpful person on earth and you might never know they are CN.

Being a kindly helpful person could simply be what they've chosen to do.

Celebrim

Legend
i can't tell if you're actually genuine here or just screwing with me being intentional contradictory

Well, that's the beauty of this thread. I can throw out things I might not even wholly believe just to see if they sink or swim.

But in this case, I'm being wholly genuine which can be proven by going back to every single alignment thread in EnWorld and checking that statement against my former opinions.

You can always tell who doesn't get alignment because they say something like, "He's lawful because he follows his own internal code."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads