• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unpopular opinions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Most campaigns don't tend to travel very far - look at the official campaigns, mostly all set on the Sword Coast. Having Chult speak an unintelligible language for the most part might have helped differentiate the people there from Sword Coast-ites.

All of this is easily ignorable for people who just want a combat sim, just as I suspect they ignore the current half-arsed system.

That was a little unnecessary. People can want a lot more than a combat sim but still not consider language differentiation interesting to deal with except in the most casual way.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Hand waving all spell components, disregarding hand management and making all spells automatically available at level advancement compounded the inability to interrupt casting in process.

By removing hassles as well as hazards the game has gone a little too far; it’s responsible for most complaints about wizards. At least for groups that like to test the limits.

Adding some hazard—-such as the ability to interrupt spell casting (even cantrips) would make martials seem more “on par” for groups that are more concerned with balance.

However, balance is not fun for a lot of folks who are addicted to “hits.” Limitations are not popular. Enter inflated hit points and low armor class.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Hand waving all spell components, disregarding hand management and making all spells automatically available at level advancement compounded the inability to interrupt casting in process.

By removing hassles as well as hazards the game has gone a little too far; it’s responsible for most complaints about wizards. At least for groups that like to test the limits.

Adding some hazard—-such as the ability to interrupt spell casting (even cantrips) would make martials seem more “on par” for groups that are more concerned with balance.

However, balance is not fun for a lot of folks who are addicted to “hits.” Limitations are not popular. Enter inflated hit points and low armor class.
I honestly believe that the same people that complain about "book keeping" are the same people that complain about the martial-caster inequity. All that book keeping -- from components to slots to discovery -- IS the balancing factor. They were the same people that couldn't be bothered with weapon vs armor types and weapon speeds in AD&D and the labeled the fighter as boring.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I honestly believe that the same people that complain about "book keeping" are the same people that complain about the martial-caster inequity. All that book keeping -- from components to slots to discovery -- IS the balancing factor. They were the same people that couldn't be bothered with weapon vs armor types and weapon speeds in AD&D and the labeled the fighter as boring.
I don’t fault anyone for a preference. At all. But the “easy button” has costs.

I would not mind weapon Vs armor type in an updated streamline form. Monsters of characters with plate like armor would make people think twice about rapiers and dex for every other character. Strong warriors with hammers would be more popular…

aramis erak

Legend
Hey, to be fair, I understand. Our weather isnt better than yours (though it falls in solid form instead of rain), so lacking access to fresh produce ripened in the fields is killer for great food.

Try to make a great dish in winter with cardboard tomatoes that comes from 3 countries away (and our countries are biiiiiiiiiiiiig)!

I like it when our government does advertising telling us to eat local. Yeah, good luck with that in January! I cant wait for a stew of roots boiled in melted snow!
Anchorage had a guy growing hydroponic tomatoes for the Alaska markets; Detroit was highlighted on a puff piece on the evening news in the late 90's noting that a guy there was renting space in an almost abandoned high rise, and growing tomatoes, cabbabge, and some other non-root veggies...

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Everyone in Westeros in GoT speaks the same language as well, which seems a little bit contrived given the wide variance of cultures and limited communication between some of them. He does have different languages for the Dothraki etc., though, which is something.
Not everyone in Westeros. The Valyrians speak their own language as well, and there are a number of them living.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Anchorage had a guy growing hydroponic tomatoes for the Alaska markets; Detroit was highlighted on a puff piece on the evening news in the late 90's noting that a guy there was renting space in an almost abandoned high rise, and growing tomatoes, cabbabge, and some other non-root veggies...
One of the things that has contributed to the global successes of McDonalds is that they do their damndest to try to source ingredients from local producers. Sometimes that works out well, sometimes, not so well.

Flavors may or may not suffer, but ties to the local community flourish.

When I toured the McD’s facilities in Moscow, they pointed out their buns were made with Russian wheat, their beef was relatively local, and even their tomatoes were grown in hothouses near Moscow. Let me verify for you, those tomatoes were pretty bland.

But that linked the company into the local economy very deeply, and even though McD’s was selling American fast food cuisine, the locals were almost as happy about supporting it as their local joints, because at the very least, it supported Russian agribusinesses.

aramis erak

Legend
One of the things that has contributed to the global successes of McDonalds is that they do their damndest to try to source ingredients from local producers. Sometimes that works out well, sometimes, not so well.

Flavors may or may not suffer, but ties to the local community flourish.

When I toured the McD’s facilities in Moscow, they pointed out their buns were made with Russian wheat, their beef was relatively local, and even their tomatoes were grown in hothouses near Moscow. Let me verify for you, those tomatoes were pretty bland.

But that linked the company into the local economy very deeply, and even though McD’s was selling American fast food cuisine, the locals were almost as happy about supporting it as their local joints, because at the very least, it supported Russian agribusinesses.
I've heard that McDonalds closed its restaurants in Russia in response to the war...

I've also heard that Russia ordered a number to remain open...

Actually, what did it was the corporation buying the land the stores were built on. That gave them the financial backbone to spread so far and wide, and to market so effectively, that they became a cultural institution.

Thomas Shey

Legend

I think its more of an issue that it turns it into a double-or-nothing process (either the magic is overpowered or you just can't get it off), and I'm not sold that many people find that a good way to balance it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads