• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unpopular opinions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Sure. Super hearing, super scent, super with computers, flight, x-ray vision, etc... feel like they are great in lots of places! (If you have them).

imbalance between the players and GM is overrated maybe, yes, but balance between player options which is what i believe @overgeeked was actually referring to is definitely not, and needs to be given more time and attention to by the designers, no matter how awkward you make your spellcasting mechanics it's really not going to even out the massive power it provides compared to the ability to swing a big sword.
D&D & its clones seems to be the only system that has that issue.

Possibly because that system attracts players who view combat as the principle feature, and who are keenly focused on their standing.

In the systems I use, the subject never seems to come up.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Lots of settings do that world building. The core books shouldn't, tho.
Is it a lot? I'm not well-versed in many official settings and can only think of 2e/3x Ravenloft, which had domain languages, with often multiple domains sharing a language. At least with D&D; no idea about other fantasy games, since all of the non-D&D medieval fantasy games I own are generic. Or Numenera, which had The Truth as its Common.

Personally, I think the core books should deal with it and bring up the idea of Regional languages. Get rid of racial languages altogether. The books should say something like this: A large country, a connected group of smaller groups, or a large swathe of terrain should have its own Regional Language, and people within it speak that Regional Language as either their primary and secondary languages.

Or if they don't get rid of racial languages, at least include the above paragraph as an optional rule/world-building idea.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Or if they don't get rid of racial languages, at least include the above paragraph as an optional rule/world-building idea.
Again, it's there, in that book no one reads and then complains doesn't have anything useful in it.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
imbalance between the players and GM is overrated maybe, yes, but balance between player options which is what i believe @overgeeked was actually referring to is definitely not, and needs to be given more time and attention to by the designers, no matter how awkward you make your spellcasting mechanics it's really not going to even out the massive power it provides compared to the ability to swing a big sword.
Yep. The only place character options should be balanced is mechanics and effectiveness. Not how tedious it is to play the option. Everything in a game should be fun otherwise it should be changed to make it fun. Is your game about fighting monsters like D&D? Then every option should be fun when fighting monsters. If some options are just better than others (cough casters cough), then you have a badly designed game.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
To be fair, since I've last read the DMG, I've also read or skimmed through 20-30 entirely different RPGs. I can't remember everything in every book.
Okay, but you "remembered" what wasn't in it.

I'm not picking on you @Faolyn .I am just saying that it is really common for people to make assertions about rules or advice D&D doesn't have, and be dead wrong about it because (as I stated upthread) D&D has a RTFM problem.

Now, part of the reason D&D has a RTFM problem is because the manual is 1000 pages. You could distill 5E to a single 100 page rulebook and it would run fine, maybe even better, but between analysis paralysis causing numbers of options, and prose that is way too self indulgent, we get a dense mass of rules no one actually reads all of. One of the reasons the OSR and OSR adjacent games have been so successful recently, IMO, is that they make reading and referencing the rules easy. They do so by being both concise and conservative in scope of core options. D&D would be better if it did the same.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Okay, but you "remembered" what wasn't in it.

I'm not picking on you @Faolyn .I am just saying that it is really common for people to make assertions about rules or advice D&D doesn't have, and be dead wrong about it because (as I stated upthread) D&D has a RTFM problem.

Now, part of the reason D&D has a RTFM problem is because the manual is 1000 pages. You could distill 5E to a single 100 page rulebook and it would run fine, maybe even better, but between analysis paralysis causing numbers of options, and prose that is way too self indulgent, we get a dense mass of rules no one actually reads all of. One of the reasons the OSR and OSR adjacent games have been so successful recently, IMO, is that they make reading and referencing the rules easy. They do so by being both concise and conservative in scope of core options. D&D would be better if it did the same.

And remembering those 1,000 pages feels even worse when it's fighting with my memories of B/X, 1e, 2e, and PF 1e too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads