• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unpopular opinions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGibster

Legend
Booster packs are loot boxes. They are exactly as evil and bad for the world, and should be subject to exactly the same regulation classifying them as gambling.
I'm not fully onboard here, but I see where you're going, and I'd be lying if I hadn't had some reservations about random products. It's one of the reasons I steered clear of games like HeroClix.

Pedantic

Legend
I'm not fully onboard here, but I see where you're going, and I'd be lying if I hadn't had some reservations about random products. It's one of the reasons I steered clear of games like HeroClix.
They're just getting by with a legacy exception through virtue of predating the most predatory video game models, and on bonus credit for spurring the rise of drafting formats. Drafting is good, but does not require nor justify randomized packs.

Scribe

Legend
They're just getting by with a legacy exception through virtue of predating the most predatory video game models, and on bonus credit for spurring the rise of drafting formats. Drafting is good, but does not require nor justify randomized packs.

Me, when faced with a logical and correct statement, that I wish to avoid.

Andre The Giant No GIF

MGibster

Legend
I do think there are some key difference here. No matter what happens, I can retain ownership and possession of my Magic cards in perpetuity without fear that the company will shut down their servers or technology will change making the game unplayable. Another difference is that the price of Magic cards aren't obscured by in-game currency, so there's nothing obfuscating the price you're paying like there is with a lot of loot boxes.

That said, I understand you point and I can't just dismiss them outright. I'll have to give it some thought.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The insistence of having an intermediary currency is so widespread, but the only value to the company appears to be that a certain percentage of the currency is "wasted," thanks to a six-hot-dogs-to-a-pack, eight-buns-to-a-pack set up with the intermediary currency pricing.

Pedantic

Legend
I do think there are some key difference here. No matter what happens, I can retain ownership and possession of my Magic cards in perpetuity without fear that the company will shut down their servers or technology will change making the game unplayable. Another difference is that the price of Magic cards aren't obscured by in-game currency, so there's nothing obfuscating the price you're paying like there is with a lot of loot boxes.

And the key to ethical lootboxes is filling them with resellable NFTs. :p

If the value of cards had anything to do with their longterm gameplay utility, we'd be talking about boardgame prices, not the madness that is TCGs.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
other way-round; 6 buns, 8 hot dogs.
(according to legend, the kids in the average 2.3 kid household would want to each eat a hot dog the moment the pack was open)
...then there's the disconnect in length between buns and hotdogs....
I would view any legends or explanations as spin for "we want you to buy more packs than you would otherwise need and will pretend we can't retool our machines, etc." as necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads