Unpopular opinions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Maybe we don't disagree. I just think it is very likely, had grunge not exploded in the early 90s, that ska and many of these other musical genres wouldn't have had a 90s heyday
My take is its actually 80's new wave and post punk that led to grunge and third wave ska to take prominence in the 90's. Forks in different directions if you will. I dont see the two linked in any other way.

bulletmeat

Adventurer
A real unpopular opinion that I legitimately hold:

The universe is meaningless, along with all things in it. There is neither plan nor point, and only broken human pattern recognition software creates the illusion of meaning. Our limited perception has allowed us to convince ourselves that any of this makes sense, on any level. And I am not just speaking metaphorically or spiritually. I mean it scientifically, too. Physics isn't "real" in any meaningful sense. it is an approximation we must have in order to keep from going mad. There is no bottom. If you look deep enough, it stops making sense. It is just chaos that we, being what we are, force into coherent shapes in our heads.
As much as we have learned, we just haven't stepped out of the cave yet.

My take is its actually 80's new wave and post punk that led to grunge and third wave ska to take prominence in the 90's. Forks in different directions if you will. I dont see the two linked in any other way.

I am not saying Ska wouldn't have existed. I am saying it may not have exploded the way it did in the 90s because grunge really laid a lot of cultural groundwork I think for those other styles to become popular on its heels.

payn

I am not saying Ska wouldn't have existed. I am saying it may not have exploded the way it did in the 90s because grunge really laid a lot of cultural groundwork I think for those other styles to become popular on its heels.
Seemed like a very congruent coming up for both styles. Grunge disguised itself as a less corporate sell chicken nuggets and Doritos vehicle then 3WS did.

Seemed like a very congruent coming up for both styles. Grunge disguised itself as a less corporate sell chicken nuggets and Doritos vehicle then 3WS did.
Again not saying they don't share roots or have don't have origins deeper than the 90s, but I do remember grunge getting very big and ska only catching on in the mainstream after grunge had created space for more music with those kinds of styles to them (compare that with what was popular in the 80s before grunge). I am also not saying Ska couldn't have become that big on its own (history is not a lab where this experiment can be run unfortunately). I just think it reaching those heights, would have been less likely if people were still mostly listening to to stuff like White Snake instead of Nirvana in 91-92

payn

Again not saying they don't share roots or have don't have origins deeper than the 90s, but I do remember grunge getting very big and ska only catching on in the mainstream after grunge had created space for more music with those kinds of styles to them (compare that with what was popular in the 80s before grunge). I am also not saying Ska couldn't have become that big on its own (history is not a lab where this experiment can be run unfortunately). I just think it reaching those heights, would have been less likely if people were still mostly listening to to stuff like White Snake instead of Nirvana in 91-92
Well yes an entirely alternative landscape popped up in the 90s. It was even called “alternative “ at the time. You also got Americana (alt country) during the same period. I guess I see it as a sea change of the time in music in general as opposed to grunge being some sort of linchpin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads