Untitled JJ Abrams movie

frankthedm

First Post
Bayushi Seikuro said:
But, I digress. I'm very interested. I'd like to see it be a Lovecraftian movie more than an actual Lovecraft story updated.
That would be awsome, though at the moment the movie feels more like a John Wyndham style invasion story.

Chain Lightning

First Post
I might be mistaken here, my memory is very hazy.......I remember hearing a long time ago that J.J. Abrams (or was it someone else) was doing a stateside version of one of the classic Japanese big monster franchises. Not Godzilla, cuz like...we already tried that. :( I think maybe....dare I say Gamera? Or Mothra? I know that's nutty! But I could've sworn I heard it or read it like a LONG time ago somewhere. I remember thinking...'what? really?'

I think it might be this. Guy in video is leaving for Japan (a little wink wink to original origin of material)....big roars...things being thrown around....I don't know.....

Chain Lightning

First Post
Mistwell, its funny that you just posted that. Just had lunch with someone where the discussion of the trailer was brought up. He also heard some scuttlebutt that pointed to a possible Cthulhu thing. If so.....suh-weet..... :D

Bullgrit

Adventurer
What about Cthulhu would make explosions? And tear off the head of the Statue of Liberty? I'm not real knowledgeable about the Lovecraft mythos, but I thought the monsters in it were more subtle, horrific, than big and explosive.

Dang. That trailer. When the first strange noise sounds, just before the power flickers, it's not a roar. It's more like...a voice. A strange, echoing voice. Gives me the heebie jeebies.
Play that part of the trailer over and over---it really sticks in a disturbing part of your mind.

Bullgrit

Total Bullgrit

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
For those who didn't know (which included me), ARG = Alternate reality game. A pretty lame name if you ask me. Spelling out the word "game" communicates the meaning better than using an acronym that I suspect few people know, and which isn't actually all that more communicative that simply "game" if you do know what it means.

Mistwell hates acronyms of relatively obscure things.

Fast Learner said:
But, as has been pointed out, JJ said the same thing about the Lost ARG sites last summer, when in fact they were. I think he just wants to make it seem more mysterious and weird.

It's now been confirmed that the Ethan Haas sites are marketing for a game, and not for the JJA movie.

Remove ads