Unusual Food Thread

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Open steak sandwich and bowl of beer battered chips with aioli and ketchup.

The midwestern US is strange about Ketchup/Catsup. Some folks put it on eggs or steak or just about anything. But there are many (especially in Chicago) who will mock you for putting it on a hot dog. (It seems universally fine on a hamburger, but I can't even conceive of putting it on italian or polish sausage or a bratwurst).

Zardnaar

Legend
The midwestern US is strange about Ketchup/Catsup. Some folks put it on eggs or steak or just about anything. But there are many (especially in Chicago) who will mock you for putting it on a hot dog. (It seems universally fine on a hamburger, but I can't even conceive of putting it on italian or polish sausage or a bratwurst).

I put it on hotdogs here, I think that's your corndogs.
On American hotdogs prefer relish over ketchup.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I put it on hotdogs here, I think that's your corndogs.
On American hotdogs prefer relish over ketchup.

Ketchup on corn-dogs makes sense.

I do mustard and dill relish on (non-corn) dogs and sausages if making them myself.

Mustard, onions, and chili is a bit more work, but pretty commonly found when eating out (and good at campouts in cooler weather).

It's hard to find these done fully right outside of the Midwest:

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Ketchup on corn-dogs makes sense.

I do mustard and dill relish on (nin-corn) dogs and sausages if making them myself.

Mustard, onions, and chili is a bit more work, but pretty commonly found when eating out (and good at campouts in cooler weather).

It's hard to find these done fully right outside of the Midwest:

Looks good, American style hot dogs kinda rare here. You would have to go looking to find them and they're gonna be basic.

Zardnaar

Legend
Burger Rings, unique to NZ afaik.

IMG_20200906_125034.jpg

IMG_20200906_125023.jpg

Hard to describe the flavour. Savoury cheese/tomato/bbq mix I suppose.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’m a big sausage-phile, but I don’t eat hot dogs much anymore. And catsup is becoming a rarer condiment for me to use.

But damn it, if I go to a baseball game, I guarantee you I will have at least one hotdog with catsup...if not twelve. 😂

I can’t say exactly why. I didn’t grow up a baseball fan- I really came to it in my 20s. And I didn’t go to many games in person. But every time I did go, I had to have at least one hotdog.

Zardnaar

Legend
I’m a big sausage-phile, but I don’t eat hot dogs much anymore. And catsup is becoming a rarer condiment for me to use.

But damn it, if I go to a baseball game, I guarantee you I will have at least one hotdog with catsup...if not twelve. 😂

I can’t say exactly why. I didn’t grow up a baseball fan- I really came to it in my 20s. And I didn’t go to many games in person. But every time I did go, I had to have at least one hotdog.

American style hotdog right?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
American style hotdog right?
Beef/pork/beef & pork mix frank on a bun, yes.
1599376785737.jpeg

Usually catsup & mustard for toppings at sporting events.

Elsewhere, I favor chili, cheese & onion; Chicago style; BBQ & garlic sauce...

But more often than any of that, I buy other kinds if sausage and treat them like hot dogs.

Zardnaar

Legend
Beef/pork/beef & pork mix frank on a bun, yes.
View attachment 125671

Usually catsup & mustard for toppings at sporting events.

Elsewhere, I favor chili, cheese & onion; Chicago style; BBQ & garlic sauce...

But more often than any of that, I buy other kinds if sausage and treat them like hot dogs.

NZ hot dog.
IMG_20200808_182237.jpg

Can also be a sausage on a stick, normally it's a saveloy but that might be a regional thing.

The bun one called American Hotdog. Very original here.

Remove ads