Unusual Food Thread

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I like a good savory pie. Most of the ones around my neck of the woods are chicken pot pies, shepherds pie, or steak & mushroom pies.

Far more varieties are available in the assorted hand pies around here- mostly empanadas and samosas.

Zardnaar

Legend
I like a good savory pie. Most of the ones around my neck of the woods are chicken pot pies, shepherds pie, or steak & mushroom pies.

Far more varieties are available in the assorted hand pies around here- mostly empanadas and samosas.

Steak and mushroom us a thing here.

Basically all the service stations have them and a good chunk of the cafes. State and cheese is kind of the default.

American expats tend to like them along with Turkish kebabs.

They're getting inventive with the fillings so you can get an English style pie with Indian/Thai/Malaysian fillings.

Butter chicken pie not a problem. Coconut and lime Thai curry sure.

I very rarely eat them for health reasons but yeah they taste pretty good.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There’s a 50’s style diner near where I live that does a great, albeit non traditional chicken pot pie. Instead of using the traditional savory pie crust topping, thei is crowned by thick puff pastry style crust, with a dozen or so buttery layers. So freaking good!

Zardnaar

Legend
There’s a 50’s style diner near where I live that does a great, albeit non traditional chicken pot pie. Instead of using the traditional savory pie crust topping, thei is crowned by thick puff pastry style crust, with a dozen or so buttery layers. So freaking good!

Puff pastry you can buy at the supermarket here.

Home made bacon and egg pie yum. You can also buy that at a few bakerys.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Puff pastry you can buy at the supermarket here.

Same here. My Mom’s cousin used to make crawfish pie with store-bought puff pastries.

Which reminds me...my folks and I were once invited to a private party that was catered by a local chef. No, seriously, tall white hat, owned a restaurant, the whole deal.

The dish that stood out to me were his escargot tarts. Usually, escargot is served in the shell with a wonderful buttery, garlic sauce. Frequently, there’s more sauce than the mollusks morsel can deliver to your mouth, so it goes to waste...

This chef, however, eschewed the shell and made his dish into bite-sized tarts. The light crust contained the snail and the butter-garlic sauce that had been thickened to a soft paste- almost like peanut butter. So in something the size of a mini-Reese’s peanut butter cup, you got EVERYTHING! I confess, I made a pig of myself on those things, including repeatedly grabbing them from the platter in the front hall as we were chit-chatting before leaving.

I’ve never encountered anyone else doing escargot even remotely the same way.

Zardnaar

Legend
Same here. My Mom’s cousin used to make crawfish pie with store-bought puff pastries.

Which reminds me...my folks and I were once invited to a private party that was catered by a local chef. No, seriously, tall white hat, owned a restaurant, the whole deal.

The dish that stood out to me were his escargot tarts. Usually, escargot is served in the shell with a wonderful buttery, garlic sauce. Frequently, there’s more sauce than the mollusks morsel can deliver to your mouth, so it goes to waste...

This chef, however, eschewed the shell and made his dish into bite-sized tarts. The light crust contained the snail and the butter-garlic sauce that had been thickened to a soft paste- almost like peanut butter. So in something the size of a mini-Reese’s peanut butter cup, you got EVERYTHING! I confess, I made a pig of myself on those things, including repeatedly grabbing them from the platter in the front hall as we were chit-chatting before leaving.

I’ve never encountered anyone else doing escargot even remotely the same way.

You can keep your snails and I'll raise you sweet and sour wontons on rice. Probably not that different to US wontons and faux Chinese.

IMG_20200912_190214.jpg

Zardnaar

Legend
Mid week can't be bothered cooking.

IMG_20200916_173755.jpg

Tikka Masala with pakoras. Cost around $25 USD for that, kadai chicken, pakoras and garlic naan bread. This is what's left over.

IMG_20200916_175121.jpg

Barely got through half of it so two meals for two people.

The Indian place is in my suburb so dodge the crowds and it's about a mile away.Getting washed down with a pilsner.

Not much in the way of Mexican here,plenty of curry places and this is our favorite.

Remove ads