Supporter
I didn't know we had a food blog.

Tuesday was:
Warm sliced rosemary encrusted prime rib
Swiss cheese
Woeber's horseradish sauce
Mixed baby lettuces
Canyon bakehouse GF heritage style honey white bread

Yes, I know the bread is a bit of a let down, but sadly about seven years ago I discovered that my aging intestines and wheat were going to have to part ways. I can only eat the good stuff now as a rare special treat. After trying a lot of GF breads, that's the best of the bunch unless I can get my wife to bake.
Sounds good to me!

i don’t have celiac or any other gluten issues, but I am mildl allergic to corn and chocolate- one of my favorite veggies (with 1M culinary uses) and one of the best dessert/candy flavors.

So I understand picking and choosing your battles,

You might check with some of the local bakeries to see what they have. Potato breads might work for you.

Also, certain grains used in bread may be better or worse for breadmaking than wheat- I’d check with one of the Celiac organizations out there.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Did a ham & swiss with mayo on a toasted onion roll tonight. The unusual part was the other condiment: a homemade vinaigrette made with Guilden’s spicy brown mustard, black pepper, EVOO, and fig balsamic vinegar. Came out pretty good.

This didn’t come out of nowhere. The primary inspiration was from these ham & swiss crepe with a honey mustard sauce that I used to get at The Magic Pan. But I’ve had ham paired with sweet/fruity glazes and toppings of all kinds. And just last week or so, I did a salad topped with a vinaigrette made with PEACH balsamic vinegar.

When I was in college I used to frequent a food truck that served hotdogs topped with french fries, ketchup, honey kustard, and cheese whiz. They also sold hoagies with mozzarella sticks in them.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Have I got one. Well a few. So there's this place in what my wife and I affectionately call the "zombie mall". Why you ask, because it could be the setting for a zombie movie, and it is an undead mall, nobody seems to buy anything there but it keeps on trudging along animated by some fell voodoo curse.

How does this apply to sandwiches you ask? I shall elucidate!

We both hot dogs there. I got the Amsterdam, which was a sausage (made on site) covered in marinara (made on site), pepperoni and mozzarella. My wife got the Valentine's Special which was an all beef hotdog with the same marinara, fried mozzarella sticks, and more shredded cheese.

I also sampled the OMG Dog. All beef hotdog, chile (made on site), onion rings, and shredded cheddar.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Man, I could go for a good dog...

There was a place we used to go when I was a kid and we lived in KS. They had a “Coney Dog” piled high with chili, cheese, onions and I don’t know what else. When I say “piled high“, I mean that the double paper plate it was served on was bearing the weight of the hot dog, bun, and a good 2-3” of toppings mounded on it like a pyramid. This was a knife & fork dog, because you couldn’t even see the hot dog underneath to figure out where to grab it.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
The zombie mall hotdog place has a Coney Island dog that is exactly what you describe. They have currently 43 regular menu items, available in hotdog or sausage format. And they take recommendations for more.

The craziest I think was the Quebec dog, a full hotdog with a pile of poutine on top. the Montreal dog had a pile of Montreal smoked meat (that is to say steamed corned beef in the style of Montreal) and enough other stuff to make a rueben.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
By request from a different thread...
Thai-spiced peanut butter sandwich update:

I mixed about 2 tablespoons of peanut butter with a hefty squirt of sriracha, a drop of fish sauce (seriously, just a single drop), a few drops of sesame oil, a squeeze of lime, and a bit of soy sauce. It seized up a bit, as predicted, so I added a little coconut oil. I kept tasting and stirring and adjusting everything until I liked the look and taste of it.

Then I fried up 4 strips of bacon until they were done but not crisp. I made a sandwich out of the peanut butter, the bacon, and a slice of red onion. It was incredible. I wanted to eat fifteen more.

Next time: lose the onion and add a few sprigs of fresh cilantro instead. Consider replacing the bacon with leftover pulled pork.

Remove ads