Unusual Sandwiches

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
That last one was actually damn simple. It’s basically a regular club sandwich with slightly unusual bread and a fancier swiss cheese.

The wild card ingredient was just some hot oil from a local Chinese restaurant mixed with honey. I started doing that mix a few years ago when I ran out of their sweet sauce wing down on some leftover appetizers. The honey worked just fine; I use about a 50/50 mix.

The only secret to the mix is that I use the best hot oil I’ve found. Most of my favorite chinese places just do their hot oil with pepper flakes in it. Nothing wrong with that at all.

But the place I get my hot oil from is NOT one of my faves. They’re OK, but not in my top 5. Their hot oil, though, is unique, AFAIK: in addition to the pepper flakes, they include pan-seared ginger & garlic. It’s hard to taste in most uses of the hot oil, but but with the honey or another sweet sauce, those other flavors suddenly reveal themselves.

Unfortunately, the restaurant recently changed hands, and the hot oil seems to be going between the version I love and the normal kind. I may have to learn how to make my own.

prabe

Aspiring Lurker (He/Him)
Supporter
Unfortunately, the restaurant recently changed hands, and the hot oil seems to be going between the version I love and the normal kind. I may have to learn how to make my own.
The upside, I guess, is that you can probably find a recipe that's pretty close and iterate until you get what you want. The downside, of course, is that it may take a few iterations. I don't have any recipes I can share or even point you at, alas.

Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters

Advertisement2

Advertisement4