Unusual Sandwiches

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Another pandemic day, another Dagwood: layers of ham, fancy bacon, radish sprouts, spinach, onion cheese, tomatoes, pickles, mayo & spicy brown mustard on toasted oatnut bread.

Zardnaar

Legend
Reason I'm not eating Dagwood's is I'm on a low salt diet.

Salami, Bacon, ham etc off the menu. Enjoying my oats.

Trying to stay under 1500mg mist days with one bad meal 1500-2000mg sodium a week.

On the plus side feeling a lot better than 3 months ago.

Haven't seen a Dagwood for a while. Ye old school bakery or cafe/truckstop would be the place to look.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’m on a very low salt diet as well. Have been for more than a decade. But I’m eating fewer meals overall, right now, and making do with what’s available during the situation.

With the exception of the bacon I’m using right now, most of my sandwich ingredients are reduced or low sodium. (The groceries were out of low sod bacon.)

I also tend not to actually pile up the meats like you’d find on a typical Dagwood. Instead, 1-2 pieces of each meat type get shredded or cut and placed on the sandwich in layers, and the greens and veggies are added in such amounts as to give more vertical presence...and nutrition. By volume, I had at least as much radish sprouts and spinach each as any meat.

The sliced tomatoes were yet another visible layer.

The pickles were sliced thin from long halves. I could have simply used dill or dill seasoning mix, but I wanted just a tad more moisture.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
If I had the ingredients to build a Dagwood, it would look like this from top to bottom.

Slice of sourdough
Labne
Drizzle of olive oil
Crushed red pepper
Hummus
Sliced cucumbers
Sliced red onion
Olive tapanade
Slice of sourdough
Mayo
Slice of provolone
Slice of tomato
Honey-roasted turkey
Sliced red onion
Mayo
Slice of sourdough
Spicy brown mustard
Smoked ham
Smoked cheddar
Sliced red onion
Bread-and-butter pickles
Spicy brown mustard
Slice of sourdough

That's right, a triple-decker.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Some good stuff in there!

Not a fan of bread & butter pickles, though. They seem to be stuck in a flavor “no man’s land”.

You might also see if you can track down things like pickled peppers or pickled onions at your local farmer’s market or the like. They can make for a nice twist.

Zardnaar

Legend
Our local farmers market has been closed.

They had great homebrew whiskey.

Wife vetoed my 24 litres of Baltika plan. I've bought a 2 week supply of alcohol for the 3rd time this week!!

Probably start having sandwiches for dinner. Hummus, salad, chicken between bread works well enough.

Zardnaar

Legend
Emergency yeast supply for bread maker.

IMG_20191129_194058.jpg

Wife said nyet. Each can is 900mls.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
An “Untidy Joseph”

I did that with leftover brisket, chopped and reheated with BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and 2 teaspoons of bourbon.

The bread is roasted garlic bread, toasted and topped with yellow mustard.

OMG!

Zardnaar

Legend
An “Untidy Joseph”

I did that with leftover brisket, chopped and reheated with BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and 2 teaspoons of bourbon.

The bread is roasted garlic bread, toasted and topped with yellow mustard.

OMG!

You're in Texas right? Trade for toilet paper, flour, Russian beer?

Remove ads