Unusual Sandwiches

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Why be bound by tradition? Whatever tastes good. For example, my favorite club involves candied bacon, salty brined turkey, old cheddar, and a nice cranberry mayo, served on two slices fried french loaf with some nice fresh lettuce and tomato. Not at all traditional, but very tasty.

American chinese is a real weakness of mine. I just can't turn down chicken balls drenched in the atomic red sauce. :)

Zardnaar

Legend
Why be bound by tradition? Whatever tastes good. For example, my favorite club involves candied bacon, salty brined turkey, old cheddar, and a nice cranberry mayo, served on two slices fried french loaf with some nice fresh lettuce and tomato. Not at all traditional, but very tasty.

American chinese is a real weakness of mine. I just can't turn down chicken balls drenched in the atomic red sauce. :)

We don't eat a lot of Chinese. Same places also make burgers here so we get that instead.

And my kebab addiction.

Is there a grocery near you that sells Dietz & Watson cold cuts at their deli counter? Like Albertsons or Tom Thumb? If so, see if they sell D&W’s Steakhouse Onion cheddar cheese- it is a white cheddar with grilled onions in it. Its like cheating when making something like a Philly.

I'll have to look for that. It's really the bread that's the issue. Rolls are normally in six or eight packs, and I just don't consume them that fast, though I suppose I could substitute a flatbread (which I to tend to have around and use at a reasonable rate). Peppers & onions don't freeze that well IMO but they aren't hard to whip up in small quantities. Maybe next grocery run.

Best Philly I ever had was whipped up by an Army cook from South Philly, at a place called Forward Operating Base Khogiyani right at the gates to the Tora Bora mountains in Afghanistan. Heaven on a bun, that was.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Is there a grocery near you that sells Dietz & Watson cold cuts at their deli counter? Like Albertsons or Tom Thumb? If so, see if they sell D&W’s Steakhouse Onion cheddar cheese- it is a white cheddar with grilled onions in it. Its like cheating when making something like a Philly.

Also, while you're looking for Dietz & Watson brand, look into their condiments-- their Cranberry Horseradish Sauce is an amazing addition to any kind of turkey dish... though for sandwiches I'd recommend mixing it (three tablespoons per can) with jellied cranberry sauce.

Figured. Some American food standards are illegal here. Others are WTF why would you do that.
More the allowed levels of bacteria and bad stuff on the food production side of things.

I generally find American food production standards to be overregulated and underenforced... but I used to make some decent money running lunchmeat over the border before it got too risky.

Zardnaar

Legend
Grilled cheese sandwich idea. Idk if this is gonna work.

Homemade bread
Tomoto
Cheese
Onion

Camembert cheese
Pastrami
Kidney beans

Relish
Sweet chilli
IMG_20200414_150448.jpg

Grills hot......

Lets just...say i was in a certain state of mind/mood, and came up with something really weird.

Two slices of extra thick otherwise run of the mill white bread. Butter one side each

Layers of each of the following
Fried crispy bacon
Extra sharp white chedar cheese
CARROT PUDDING SPICED WITH CARDAMOMS
And large raisins

Fried up the sandwich like a grilled cheese

Not sure if i would like it now and havent tried it since but i loved it so much at the time that i made 4 more and ate them too.
Yeah...it was a strange time. And im actually really skinny. Im thinking about making another one now (originally made them quite a while ago) and seeing if i like it still.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases