Unusual Sandwiches

Zardnaar

Legend
I've seen videos online of those companies that send out boxes if food from various countries to try.

You might be able to find marmite in an NZ box.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Not sure
I've seen videos online of those companies that send out boxes if food from various countries to try.

You might be able to find marmite in an NZ box.
Not sure I want to invest that much money on trying something out that is KNOWN to be polarizing!

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I personally don't mind it. The trick is to spread it veeeeeery thin. I mean scrape-worthy thin. Otherwise it tastes of a way too strong beefy Bovril salt . Weird for a vegan spread. It can also be used as an ingredient in stews and other savoury sauces in which it does quite well but again, sparingly.

I will buy a pot and try it with cheese sandwich today and let you know my thoughts.

Zardnaar

Legend
I personally don't mind it. The trick is to spread it veeeeeery thin. I mean scrape-worthy thin. Otherwise it tastes of a way too strong beefy Bovril salt . Weird for a vegan spread. It can also be used as an ingredient in stews and other savoury sauces in which it does quite well but again, sparingly.

I will buy a pot and try it with cheese sandwich today and let you know my thoughts.

I had to Google bovril a few weeks ago.

Jeremy Clarkson made a man's drink on Top Gear using a V8.

Beef, bricks, bovril few other things. May also had a bovril drink.

Blech.

Found it.

Thankfully the last legacy of British food left is mostly cakes, biscuits pies. Ye olde roast beef and crap beer on the way out.

Last edited:

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I had to Google bovril a few weeks ago.

Jeremy Clarkson made a man's drink on Top Gear using a V8.

Beef, bricks, bovril few other things. May also had a bovril drink.

Blech.

Found it.

Thankfully the last legacy of British food left is mostly cakes, biscuits pies. Ye olde roast beef and crap beer on the way out.
I see you trying to bait me here

There is some fantastic beer out there. What beer have you tasted?

Zardnaar

Legend
I see you trying to bait me here

There is some fantastic beer out there. What beer have you tasted?

It's our old beer.

Each region basically had a variant of a British ale. Most of them were all crap.

We had 1 lager option. You could maybe get Heineken but it was expensive.

Slowly started to change in the 90s but not not a fan of ales generally.

In America they made the mono pale lager, here it was mono ale. Cheap swill.

APAs and IPAs can be good, but yeah or traditional beer sucked because it was based off 4% English ales.

And you don't serve them room temperature here it's weird.

Those older beers are mostly drunk by old people.

You don't really get English restaurants here, you might find an English bar if you look hard enough.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I'm sorry for your loss.
Batemans XP, Courage Directors, Landlord and Castle Eden are are all great bitters in traditional British pubs.
Yeah the Pale ale market has boomed to the decline of the bitter. Pale ale and Blond ale and Gold ale and anything else more creamy is popular. I don't mind them but bitter outside of pubs is getting a little more scarce IMO.

What is it abut cold drinks. Guinness, Even though it's not the great Irish stuff is now cold in the UK. It takes away the slightly bitter taste that makes it iconic and becomes more quaffable for the masses. It is no longer Guinness IMO not that it was the proper stuff anyway.

Remove ads