Unusual Sandwiches

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’m almost out of mortadella at this point. Only enough for one more sandwich. Next time I get some, I may aim at more of a Mediterranean approach. Some salami. Oil & red wine vinegar as opposed to mayo. That kind of thing.
...and so I have.

Tonight, I finished off the mortadella with some Genoa salami and feta on a toasted onion roll. The only condiment was a vinaigrette of spicy brown mustard, red wine vinegar and basil-infused EVOO. Gotta say, this may have been the best incarnation yet. It could have used some leafy greens, but I’m out. Perhaps some pickled peppers.

Hmmmmm...maybe I should have run the whole thing through the toaster oven and had it as a HOT sandwich!

Zardnaar

Legend
Turkish Sandwich. He calls it a Tombi.
IMG_20210320_194308.jpg

It was nice but not as good as his other options. Big ass chicken sandwich though.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I did a country sausage sandwich the other night. Toasted onion roll, Swiss cheese, brown mustard, sauerkraut, garlic sprouts and- instead of mayo- I used a garlic aioli.

It was almost a really good sandwich.

Unfortunately, the particular aioli I used had a slight sweetness to it that simply didn’t work. It kind of fought with the other ingredient instead of harmonizing. I would have done better with a different one, or maybe a creamy horseradish.

It was similar to a much better one I had done a few nights previous, which added spinach and used plain mayo instead of aioli. However, the secret weapon on that one was the use of Merlot bellavitano cheese. That was the first time I’ve used that one on a sandwich...and it won’t be the last.

I’d take another stab at it, but I’m out of sausage. For now,

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Enjoyed my basic good last wee. Last night made a steak hoagie for dinner.

Marinaded it in garlic, sauces, dash of mustard. Bought some more interesting thing's.

Making wraps tonight adding some Turkish eggplant from a can to it.

Zardnaar

Legend
Home made vegetarian kebabs. Falafel is buried in there somewhere.

IMG_20210511_180039.jpg

I cut the tops off the pita, lightly grilled the off cuts and served them up piping hot with caramelized onion hummus as a dip.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

The main course for Mother’s Day- per Her Majesty’s request- were creole roast beef & gravy sandwiches on petit French rolls. The original is very simple: thinly sliced beef (either cold cuts or a roast you did beforehand) is placed in a brown gravy to warm, then served on French bread with gravy as the main condiment. But I jazzed things up a bit.

First of all, while I started with McCormick’s plain packet brown gravy, I added beef bullion, thyme, garlic powder and parsley.

Second, I lightly toasted, then buttered the French rolls.

Third, I offered a selection of condiments- mayo, garlic aioli, and creamy horseradish.

Fourth, I offered a selection of cheeses- swiss, dill havarti, smoked gruyere, and smoked Gouda.

Fifth, I supplied a lot of sautéed onion.

I opted for the aioli, horseradish, gruyere and onions to augment mine. The results were delicious but messy. The round-bottomed rolls kept capsizing, even after a modicum of crushing, leading to the beef sliding out the sides as if borne on a mudslide of the gravy and other condiments.*

Didn’t care, still ate an awesome sandwich.

I learned a trick eating the leftovers that I’ll use going forward: instead of slicing the buns all the way through on those oh-so-messy beef sandwiches, I left the top & bottom attached. Then I served and ate them sideways, like a chili cheese dog. DUH!

* Advanced & cultured sandwich makers would probably have scooped a trench out of the bread for the fillings to improve overall stability, but I AM A BARBARIAN!!!

Remove ads