• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Upcoming Adventure Review

GlassEye

Adventurer
When ROUS finishes we'll be able to get two new groups into adventure. We also have two new 1st level characters. I believe each has one approval (or one is in the works) so they are going to need an adventure very soon. They could use a couple of more characters to fill out the party, and a DM. I can DM for them if no one else volunteers but I also have a 2nd level character that could be a part of that group. So, if you have a 1st or 2nd level character not in play, or enough DMC to get another character into play, or want to DM, then speak up!

FrancisJohn

Explorer
How many conceivable hours does it take to put in to create and prepare an adventure for level 1/2 characters? My greatest concern is to not be able to be as active in game updates as I would like as a player....

GlassEye

Adventurer
How many conceivable hours does it take to put in to create and prepare an adventure for level 1/2 characters? My greatest concern is to not be able to be as active in game updates as I would like as a player....

I think it could be a pretty quick and easy process but it never is for me. It depends on your prep style and how much you are using that is premade and how long the adventure is. If you have a clear idea of what is to happen, use only standard monsters from the bestiaries, and NPCs from pfsrd then it really shouldn't take too long. It usually takes me a long time because I don't start with a clear idea and I have to spend a lot of time refining the idea I have into one that is useable.

Of course, it is probably easiest to take a published adventure, change it to fit our world, and cut unnecessary encounters. Or use something like a Five-Room Dungeon to get started. It really doesn't have to be a long adventure (I almost think short adventures work best in pbp environment).

As for game updates, it does take a little longer to write them than regular posts as a player. That varies by person as well. I'm not very organized and not a fast writer at all so it takes me a long time to make even a short post. Others are quicker at it than I am. Rough guess: figure it'll take twice as long to make a DM post as it does for you to make a player post. Games don't have to be fast either as long as everyone understands and is okay with the posting expectations.

I've been considering making Ellamin an npc. Sounds like a good time to do so and make a new 1st level character.

That would be great!

MerryMortician

Explorer
I'm really torn between putting together a short adventure and submitting a second character. Both prospects excite me but I'm already involved in a second game off-site and know I couldn't keep up posting every 24-48 hours with two more. FJ, if you want to try your hand at DMing this round, I'll put something together for the next game that falls in the Lv 1-3 ballpark. I've kicked a couple ideas around over the last few months and should really tear my attention away from reading past adventures long enough to read more setting information on the Wiki :D

perrinmiller

Adventurer
The metric I came up with was about a 4:1 ration for DMing versus playing.

Obviously it doesn't take 4 times longer to do every post, but the days it takes 1-2 hours instead of 10 minutes are factored in.

Of course I spend more than 2 minutes writing IC as a player and that can skew things if you compare to 1-liner posting. But I don't see you doing that, FJ, so the 4:1 ratio is about right.

The amount of time you spend working on your adventure is about 4 times what you would spend on developing your character to play when you total it all up from beginning to end.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads