• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Upcoming Adventure Review

FrancisJohn

Explorer
A good part of me thinks I can run a successful adventure, but I am afraid of the initial amount of preparation time. i.e., biting off more than I can chew. I'll mull some ideas around in my head and brainstorm a bit, but I really can't make any promises right now.

Side question, how does everyone feel about using google sheets for maps? I play in a pbp with some friends IRL and it works out just fantastic.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I'm really torn between putting together a short adventure and submitting a second character. Both prospects excite me but I'm already involved in a second game off-site and know I couldn't keep up posting every 24-48 hours with two more.

A good part of me thinks I can run a successful adventure, but I am afraid of the initial amount of preparation time. i.e., biting off more than I can chew. I'll mull some ideas around in my head and brainstorm a bit, but I really can't make any promises right now.

Valid worries. I've overloaded myself before (and spent much of 2014 burnt out on DMing and pbp in general). You just have to judge how much you can handle and make sure you don't go beyond that, no matter how tempting a game might be.

I've read enough of your character posts that I feel you both would be good DMs. Just let us know when you are ready to take the plunge (it isn't as bad as you might think).

Merry, you could try a 2nd LPF character and see how it goes. It's easier to let a PC go inactive if necessary than a game you're DMing.

So, we still need a DM for the lowbies. Right now the group is Rak'Tan (Fighter 1; Trogdor), Brog (Ranger 1; Sunshadow), and Maenor (Magus 1; ealt). Merry could bring in a 1st level, and I have Kepli (Shaman 2) though if no one steps up in a couple of days I'll run something and continue to let Kepli rest.

FrancisJohn

Explorer
Oh I certainly wouldn't be a ready in a few days, let alone a few weeks. Perhaps next batch of newbies. I want to give back, but now isn't ideal as a time commitment at the moment. If I can't dedicate myself like I would want my GM as a player, I won't do it.

MerryMortician

Explorer
I want to give back, but...If I can't dedicate myself like I would want my GM as a player, I won't do it.
Very well said. This is the root of my hesitation over the past several months.

I'm developing a character concept and will likely work out the mechanics for submission by early next week. If low-level characters are waiting around when "About a Cow" finishes, I may take the plunge. I have significantly less experience as a player than as a DM so I've been thoroughly enjoying the opportunity to just go along for the ride, especially in this community.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Cool thanks PM. I have yet to read through your GM tip series.
Yeah, I wrote those a while back. Hopefully they help.

Side question, how does everyone feel about using google sheets for maps? I play in a pbp with some friends IRL and it works out just fantastic.
Funny you mentioned Google Docs, because I was going to point out that I have started using Google Drawing for map display and token moving. I find it much easier and faster to use than Ditzie:

Here are some examples from games I am currently running.

Swashbuckling: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1LjOQLqh1YFS2oZ4W7OAGqsVKqikyqEc4N911R4KcvnE/edit
Reign of Winter: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1k4QyrkOzgEXqqdpispG48cj-80KylNlOOu-spWN_r2w/edit

However, RPTools’ Token Tool is still the superior way to make tokens quick and easy.

And if you need to make map from scratch (instead of cropping one from a PDF or something), then I like MapTools. That is what I used to put the grid on the Swashbuckling map before I put it into Google Drawing.

Some things need to be worked out ahead of time, but some stuff can be done as you go along.

A while back someone gave some good advice for first timer DMs. The Pathfinder Society modules work well for LPF. They are short in length and often provide some maps too. Most would require some tweaking to scale the encounters, but that is easier than starting from scratch.

FrancisJohn

Explorer
I know I would enjoy coming up with everything from scratch, even though its more work. Using a module would kind of feel like a job or chore for me, but that's just my personal feelings.

I'll GM soon, but not this round. If anyone would want to share their materials for an adventure that's already been used, I can use it as a template. Or even if Glasseye, if you wanted to share this latest one with maybe by dropbox or something, that would totally help I think.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Do we have any 3-4th level characters around beside Tamarie? Is Francis John (the PC) being retired? I might need to replace Resrick in "Don't Let It Go!" because I am apparently done to only 2 PCs and already have a guest helping me NPC the cleric to keep a healer around.

Remove ads