D&D (2024) Upcoming One D&D: Unearthed Arcana 'Expert' Classes (Bard, Ranger, Rogue)

WotC has posted a video describing the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest document which will feature three of the core character classes, each with a single subclass. This document is the second in a series of Unearthed Arcana articles that present material designed for the next version of the Player's Handbook. The material here uses the rules in the 2014 Player's Handbook, except where...

WotC has posted a video describing the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest document which will feature three of the core character classes, each with a single subclass.

This document is the second in a series of Unearthed Arcana articles that present material designed for the next version of the Player's Handbook. The material here uses the rules in the

2014 Player's Handbook, except where noted. Providing feedback on this document is one way you can help shape the next generation of D&D!

Inside you'll find the following content:

Expert Classes. Three Classes appear in this document, each one a member of the Expert Group: the Bard, the Ranger, and the Rogue. Each Class appears with one Subclass. More Subclasses will appear in Unearthed Arcana in the months ahead.

Feats. Feats follow the Class descriptions, particularly feats available to the classes in this document.

Spell Lists. Three Spell lists-the Arcane, Divine, and Primal lists-are featured here. The Ranger uses the Primal list, and the Bard potentially uses all three, thanks to the Magical Secrets feature.

Rules Glossary. In this document, any term in the body text that is underlined appears in a glossary at the end. The glossary defines game terms that have been clarified or redefined for this playtest or that don't appear in the 2014 Player's Handbook.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Just had an idea. You could have subclasses of the group.
So a subclass could be a subclass of Expert and taken by any of the PCs who are of classes in the expert group.
Yup, and it would work way better than the messy Strixhavem tests, since they all share a Subclass progression, and some shared Group features: so you could have some sort of "Factotum" skillmaster that can play with Expertise and go with either Bard, Rogue or Ranger, or maybe a weapon master for Monk, Barbarian, and Fighter.

wizard71

Explorer
My thoughts on this playtest

1) I love that rangers also gain expertise. It fits their class perfectly.
2) I do not like rangers getting cantrips. What benefit do full casters have if half casters gain cantrips? Especially this early
3) I miss the hunter having multiple options to choose from at their levels. Please bring choice back
4) I am not a fan of bards with spell books. Give them more spells known
5) The Lore Bard needs their magical secrets returned to them
6) I am not a fan of three spell lists. I like flavor in the classes. I do not want to go back to schools of magic & spheres of influence from 2E
7) I like the thief revamp. Its a step in the right direction
8) I am a fan of short swords being simple weapons

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
My thoughts on this playtest

1) I love that rangers also gain expertise. It fits their class perfectly.
2) I do not like rangers getting cantrips. What benefit do full casters have if half casters gain cantrips? Especially this early
3) I miss the hunter having multiple options to choose from at their levels. Please bring choice back
4) I am not a fan of bards with spell books. Give them more spells known
5) The Lore Bard needs their magical secrets returned to them
6) I am not a fan of three spell lists. I like flavor in the classes. I do not want to go back to schools of magic & spheres of influence from 2E
7) I like the thief revamp. Its a step in the right direction
8) I am a fan of short swords being simple weapons
You might be pleased to note that in the survey results video D&D Beyond posted about the Experts classes that some of your feelings were felt by others as well and you'll probably see them changed. Hunters having multiple feature choices, and Lore bards getting Magical Secrets back being two of them.

Remove ads

Remove ads