• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Upcoming One D&D: Unearthed Arcana 'Expert' Classes (Bard, Ranger, Rogue)

WotC has posted a video describing the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest document which will feature three of the core character classes, each with a single subclass. This document is the second in a series of Unearthed Arcana articles that present material designed for the next version of the Player's Handbook. The material here uses the rules in the 2014 Player's Handbook, except where...

WotC has posted a video describing the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest document which will feature three of the core character classes, each with a single subclass.

This document is the second in a series of Unearthed Arcana articles that present material designed for the next version of the Player's Handbook. The material here uses the rules in the

2014 Player's Handbook, except where noted. Providing feedback on this document is one way you can help shape the next generation of D&D!

Inside you'll find the following content:

Expert Classes. Three Classes appear in this document, each one a member of the Expert Group: the Bard, the Ranger, and the Rogue. Each Class appears with one Subclass. More Subclasses will appear in Unearthed Arcana in the months ahead.

Feats. Feats follow the Class descriptions, particularly feats available to the classes in this document.

Spell Lists. Three Spell lists-the Arcane, Divine, and Primal lists-are featured here. The Ranger uses the Primal list, and the Bard potentially uses all three, thanks to the Magical Secrets feature.

Rules Glossary. In this document, any term in the body text that is underlined appears in a glossary at the end. The glossary defines game terms that have been clarified or redefined for this playtest or that don't appear in the 2014 Player's Handbook.

Amrûnril

Adventurer
Because it lets you create feats and other abilities that (a) interact with common features of the group, and (b) will automatically apply to later additions to the group.

Just off the top of my head, I could see an "show-off" feat that gives an ally inspiration when you succeed (or maybe crit) on a skill in which you have Expertise. This would naturally be restricted to Expert classes.

Because the two do different things, and say different things about the world.

And because there are so, SO many spells on the list that ought to be ritual-only.

In cases like that, though, you could make the feature itself the prerequisite. To use the expertise example, if a character gains expertise through a feat, for instance, or through a future subclass in a different class group, I'd want that character to also have the option of choosing the Show Off feat.

What I would like to see in part, is Bard Songs. A list of magical songs that bards can pick from similar to the battle master maneuver list, using inspiration dice in a similar way to superiority dice.

For me, back in 2e, the bard always was the jack of all trades, not the musician who cheered for the party.

Maybe bard was always a misnomer, but I don't really want songs to be the main focus. Maybe done right, subclasses might allow for your and my vision.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And 1% is not a bad quota for market research. I'd say many companies would kill to have that much of a participation.

But sample size is not all that matters.

The question rather is: is the survey representative of the DnD community as a whole or only for us forum goers...
That's a good question. I suspect that the majority of those numbers came from D&D Beyond and forum goers. Does anyone know if WotC reached out to brick and mortar stores to see if the owners/managers there would mention it to their players?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Couple of quick observations. I like several of the ranger abilities, but it seems like they did not eliminate class abilities on a short rest as speculated. Also, the tireless feature is awfully close to how I have the endurance background in B&B ;)

1664461544830.png

Sacrosanct

Legend
For me, back in 2e, the bard always was the jack of all trades, not the musician who cheered for the party.

Maybe bard was always a misnomer, but I don't really want songs to be the main focus. Maybe done right, subclasses might allow for your and my vision.
I don't like bards. Except for one. My 2e blade bard. I really liked that one.

Laurefindel

Legend

Same here. 5e's bard is a nice and well-rounded full-caster class. It's just not what I expect out of the D&D bard archetype.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No. But you can make alarms with just some string and traps with wood and rope in the real world. That sounds like a ranger thing while magical alarms and traps sound like a mage kind of thing IMO.
Sure, but they wouldn’t function like the spell, and IMO the ranger should be able to set up silent alarms that can alert only themself in total silence. Because the ranger is more than a bushcraft expert.
Sort of depends on what they do with Ranger here: I'm sure theybwill cover the idea of "I have an animal buddy," but the form may be different.
This will be where we really find out what they mean by compatible.

But I doubt they will replace the BM ranger subclass with a base class thing. What we might see is a base class pet option that the new BM enhances, or the ability to have a minor pet from a base class feature and a major pet via the subclass.

We shall see today!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads