• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Upcoming One D&D: Unearthed Arcana 'Expert' Classes (Bard, Ranger, Rogue)

WotC has posted a video describing the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest document which will feature three of the core character classes, each with a single subclass. This document is the second in a series of Unearthed Arcana articles that present material designed for the next version of the Player's Handbook. The material here uses the rules in the 2014 Player's Handbook, except where...

WotC has posted a video describing the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest document which will feature three of the core character classes, each with a single subclass.

This document is the second in a series of Unearthed Arcana articles that present material designed for the next version of the Player's Handbook. The material here uses the rules in the

2014 Player's Handbook, except where noted. Providing feedback on this document is one way you can help shape the next generation of D&D!

Inside you'll find the following content:

Expert Classes. Three Classes appear in this document, each one a member of the Expert Group: the Bard, the Ranger, and the Rogue. Each Class appears with one Subclass. More Subclasses will appear in Unearthed Arcana in the months ahead.

Feats. Feats follow the Class descriptions, particularly feats available to the classes in this document.

Spell Lists. Three Spell lists-the Arcane, Divine, and Primal lists-are featured here. The Ranger uses the Primal list, and the Bard potentially uses all three, thanks to the Magical Secrets feature.

Rules Glossary. In this document, any term in the body text that is underlined appears in a glossary at the end. The glossary defines game terms that have been clarified or redefined for this playtest or that don't appear in the 2014 Player's Handbook.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I hope you are wrong. I don't need every intresting set of choices to be hidden behind the 'magic' keyword,
I'm not saying interesting = magic. I'm saying that martials don't necessarily need a bunch of new "magical but not magical" stuff to "make up for" casters, because I don't believe there's anything that needs making up for, based on the reasons I gave earlier. I am an advocate of each class doing neat stuff, but that's a separate argument than a need to "make up for" spells casters get.

Sacrosanct

Legend
yet for some reason it HAS to be magic in this edition
No, but in that example, it doesn't have to be a trait/power/feat either. Anyone could take time to set up trip wires, cans, etc that would essentially replicate the alarm spell if they had the materials for it. I.e., that's a role-playing solution that doesn't need a mechanical rule. At least in how I've been playing the game for the past 40+ years. YMMV of course.

They're probably trying to show the "success" of the playtest to those who don't want changes by putting out 40k+ responses!!!!! My first thought, though, was 40k out of 50 million really isn't that many. 1% is 500k. So less than 1 player in a 1000 has responded to the survey.
man that is a depressing thought

Zaukrie

New Publisher
In your experience, what exactly were you looking for when your company was attentively reading the comments?
We never knew what we'd get, frankly. Comments that really said something, other than "great idea". The more words, the more ideas, the better. It is the easiest way to see what people really want.

That said, we took serious outliers with a grain of salt. While the one person that gave something a 1 is an outlier, and we knew that most people disagreed, it was still important to see if their idea was similar to any of our thoughts, or was something no one though of (like something being offensive that we didn't consider).

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
No multiclassing would be a bummer. It would actively destroy character concepts and it would need a better replacement than "here take a feat".

Multiclassing is the main way to customize characters, as it allows a choice at each and every level. It is also what makes building characters fun, because you can try out a nearly unlimited number of characters.

I also can't see why dipping a class is so looked down on. It creates exactly the archetypes you want. Fighter wizard does not need more than 2 levels of fighter for example. You can also easily create an arcane half caster by just having a balanced multiclass of fighter and wizard. And you are not a liability at any level.

Why drop such an easy and well working system? Instead add different ways to branch oit or enhance the experience.
Multiclassing with the new groups thing doesn't mean that Alice's sorcerer 5 who picks up warlock 2 is going to get all of the sane warlock abilities as Bob when he started warlock at level one. Likewise in reverse if Bob starts dipping into sorcerer at warlock 5.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
The College of Lore subclass abilities don't really have anything to do with lore. I feel like it should be renamed or something. Also, if bards study the words of creation, maybe they need some kind of power words or something like that. I don't feel like the class and the lore match at all.

No, but in that example, it doesn't have to be a trait/power/feat either. Anyone could take time to set up trip wires, cans, etc that would essentially replicate the alarm spell if they had the materials for it. I.e., that's a role-playing solution that doesn't need a mechanical rule. At least in how I've been playing the game for the past 40+ years. YMMV of course.
it doesnt have to be a class feature... maybe a skill

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Really, repeating this for every class is wasted space:

If you’re making a 1st-level character, also consult the “Starting Equipment” section, and if you’re using the multiclassing rules, see the “Multiclassing and the Ranger” section.

Remove ads

Remove ads