• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Updated] Chris Sims & Jennifer Clarke Wilkes Let Go From WotC

The details are unclear, but D&D editor Chris Sims has reported that he is now in need of a job, and is willing to relocate. He was hired by WotC in 2005 after working for them as a freelance editor. Part of the D&D 5E launch, he was one of the editors for the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide, and was responsible for stat block development in the Monster Manual. The reasons have not been revealed, nor is it clear whether he left or was laid off.

The details are unclear, but D&D editor Chris Sims has reported that he is now in need of a job, and is willing to relocate. He was hired by WotC in 2005 after working for them as a freelance editor. Part of the D&D 5E launch, he was one of the editors for the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide, and was responsible for stat block development in the Monster Manual. The reasons have not been revealed, nor is it clear whether he left or was laid off.

Whether this is an isolated thing or part of more layoffs if unclear right now. More if I hear anything! In the meantime, if you can hire an excellent writer and editor, please do!

For more on ex-WotC employees, please check my list here!

UPDATE: Jennifer Clarke Wilkes is also in the same boat. She has worked on both D&D as an editor and on Magic: the Gathering, and has been working for WotC for many years.

UPDATE 2: Chris Sims confirms here that he and Jennifer were both laid off.

Laeknir

First Post
Something I have never really understood (perhaps someone can help clarify), why does WotC put so much emphasis on making products for tournament and gaming-store play rather than straight-up modules and sourcebooks? Does the tournament/store material actually bring in money? At gaming stores, I understand the encounters are often just handed out free - so I just don't get it. Why not have their editors make modules and sourcebooks that can be advertised and sold much more widely and publicly?

I don't have time or really the inclination to hang out in gaming stores and I haven't been to a tournament event in years. It makes it very difficult to even FIND any WotC adventures, since they're event-restricted or not publicly sold. With Paizo, I can go to their web store, or even find their stuff easily on Amazon and just buy it. Easy. So what's the deal? Am I wrong in thinking part of the problem is WotC's focus on making materials for a fraction of the gaming community? I know more gamers who DON'T do store events and tournaments than those who do.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Something I have never really understood (perhaps someone can help clarify), why does WotC put so much emphasis on making products for tournament and gaming-store play rather than straight-up modules and sourcebooks? Does the tournament/store material actually bring in money? At gaming stores, I understand the encounters are often just handed out free - so I just don't get it.

They bring in new players. They're part of WotC commitment to grow the hobby. Those players then buy things in the store.

Why not have their editors make modules and sourcebooks that can be advertised much more widely?

The Organized Play events are the advertising.

Laeknir

First Post
They bring in new players. They're part of WotC commitment to grow the hobby. Those players then buy things in the store.

The Organized Play events are the advertising.

Does it actually work, though? Bringing someone into a store is all well and good, but there's no guarantee that they'll buy WotC products while they're there. Does Paizo have their editors spend a lot of time making store event or tournament material? I honestly don't know.

I mean, I can understand this strategy with something like Magic the Gathering. Bring people in, let them see new cards, whatever, and they're more likely to buy card packs. But card packs are relatively low priced (impulse buying is best when cheap), where gaming manuals, sourcebooks and adventure modules are much bigger ticket items. Plus, why spend money on adventures and sourcebooks when you're just going to come back next week or whenever to get another free set of encounters? The DM is in the store, so there's no need for my kid to shell out $40-50 for a monster manual or a player's guide.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice and all to have a commitment to in-store gamers. I just don't see other companies having their editors spend a lot of time on materials that are going to be handed out for free.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Does it actually work, though? Bringing someone into a store is all well and good, but there's no guarantee that they'll buy WotC products while they're there.

Or at all but it seems to work fairly well. Putting something in someone's hands or showing them how it works directly, one-on-one, is the best way to sell something. If they don't get it there and then, they might just come back. Anyone who actually tries something is a potential customer. Plus, it helps your situation with existing players as they can enjoy it as well. And, you're doing something for the folks who are your best customers, your GMs, by giving them something to use at the table. It's really the best targeted advertising that any RPG company can do. It probably shouldn't be the only thing they do but if they did nothing else, this is what I agree they should be doing.

Laeknir

First Post
Or at all but it seems to work fairly well. Putting something in someone's hands or showing them how it works directly, one-on-one, is the best way to sell something. If they don't get it there and then, they might just come back. Anyone who actually tries something is a potential customer. Plus, it helps your situation with existing players as they can enjoy it as well. And, you're doing something for the folks who are your best customers, your GMs, by giving them something to use at the table. It's really the best targeted advertising that any RPG company can do. It probably shouldn't be the only thing they do but if they did nothing else, this is what I agree they should be doing.

Do other gaming companies, like Paizo, do this? I don't often go to gaming stores, perhaps once a year, so I don't know.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Do other gaming companies, like Paizo, do this? I don't often go to gaming stores, perhaps once a year, so I don't know.

Oh, yes, Paizo does it extensively and a number of other companies who aren't as big. Of course, many companies who go to conventions do a version of this just by have game demos but also by running events. But WotC, Paizo, Pelgrane Press, Crafty Games, and others do or have offered Organized Play programs.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
See, that's you seemingly arguing with my point by acting as if what you are arguing against is actually what I said, and yet it's not. Perhaps it is just that you aren't quite following what I am posting. Everyone agrees WotC should and can recruit new players and retain old ones and, in all fairness, draw from other companies' market share if they can. The point is that there is no way that they have done as much of that as it would have taken to be where they were when the wheels came off, let alone be better off.

Hypothetically, with no new customers, they would have had to bring back everyone who left to play PF. We know for a fact that did not happen because people still play PF in huge numbers (maybe more than originally did, judging by Paizo growth). So, once again, hypothetically, just to pick a fraction to get one's head around (could be a little smaller or not), if WotC lost half their market share to PF and needed to replace all of them with totally new RPG customers just to get back to where they were, the overall market would have to double. That's the overall market doubling to allow for WotC's halved share to double just to get back to where they were.

All right, those are just the extreme case scenarios for how it would have had to happen. We know it didn't. People still play PF. The overall market did not double. No way possible the market doubled without everyone (not just you) finding out about it. No one with any sense would try to make that argument. Would someone like to see the RPG market double? Gods, yes! Everyone would love that. New players for all. New customers for publishers. It would be fantastic. But it hasn't happened.

Where does that leave WotC? To get back to where they were, just where they were not better than they were, they need to get folks from somewhere. They need to come from somewhere other than Paizo, judging by PF success. They need to come from more than just overall market growth, since we know that hasn't covered things even if it has grown a little.

Is it possible that WotC's market share in the 3.XE period wasn't the majority of the RPG market? Some might argue that but I would not. But, hypothetically, let's say WotC had a 50% share, lost 25% to PF that they haven't gotten back and the market didn't grow. To get back to where they were they'd have had to take over half of the entire rest of the market. Again, another extreme scenario just to understand the outside parameters of the problem.

But we know other RPG companies are doing quite well. Green Ronin hasn't shuttered its windows. Did companies that no longer exist or do less with RPGs even have half of the rest of the market to fill in the hole in WotC share? Did all other RPG publishers go away and their combined share fill the hole? I don't believe that has happened nor do I think anyone else does. For that to have happened we would have had to see an extensive collapse for the non-Wotc / non-Paizo RPG market such that half the companies who weren't Paizo or WotC withered and died.

So, here we are. The extremes of how to regain that market share have been defined. Despite the cries of some who like to squelch any speculation that might trouble them, we don't actually need hard numbers to get some sense of how things have been going for WotC since walking away from the OGL. No one with a lick of sense could believe they've cobbled together the the kind of numbers they would need to make up for the huge loss they experienced (PF growing, the rest of the market doing well, overall market growth relatively good but not crazy good).

I'm pretty sure that even you, Alphastream, can see what WotC was up against and how impossible it would have been for them to come back from that without absolutely EVERYONE (not just you) being able to see it and unable to refute it. But it didn't happen. I wish it had. It would have been the success story of the decade and GREAT for the RPG industry.

There is a zero-sum assumption about market share here that doesn't apply to games...

Laeknir

First Post
Oh, yes, Paizo does it extensively and a number of other companies who aren't as big. Of course, many companies who go to conventions do a version of this just by have game demos but also by running events. But WotC, Paizo, Pelgrane Press, Crafty Games, and others do or have offered Organized Play programs.

Interesting. I guess since I'm out of the organized play "loop" it never occurred to me that Paizo and others would offer free material, adventures and such, at gaming stores.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Interesting. I guess since I'm out of the organized play "loop" it never occurred to me that Paizo and others would offer free material, adventures and such, at gaming stores.

Well, these programs are of varying kinds. Some offered free to stores some cost money to stores but are presented to the store as a marketing tool for them. Some go to GMs and players more directly and organize them for the stores. It's probably not best to think of it as the companies giving away free products.

Remove ads

Remove ads