[UPDATED: CONFIRMED!] Wheaton's Game: Putting Together The Clues!

So, with Wil Wheaton's statement that the game being played in his new Tabletop RPG show is NOT Green Ronin's Dragon Age, it's time to start putting together the clues. Here's everything we know so far. I figured that if I've spent 15 years doing this exact thing to compile information about D&D books, hopefully the process work for a web show, too! Note: I think I've fixed the issue preventing Chrome users from reading the article.

So, with Wil Wheaton's statement that the game being played in his new Tabletop RPG show is NOT Green Ronin's Dragon Age, it's time to start putting together the clues. Here's everything we know so far. I figured that if I've spent 15 years doing this exact thing to compile information about D&D books, hopefully the process work for a web show, too! Note: I think I've fixed the issue preventing Chrome users from reading the article.

[UPDATE: I've had it confirmed by me by a whole bunch of people who already know that the game is, indeed, Fantasy AGE, in a fantasy/sci-fi blended setting created by Wil Wheaton, and that an announcement is imminent!]

• In 2014, Wheaton's Tabletop boardgame show wins an ENnie for its two RPG episodes which feature Green Ronin's Chris Pramas running Dragon Age for Wil Wheaton and the other stars of the episode.
  • Wheaton states that "we're not using D&D. I really like the people at Wizards, but dealing with Hasbro is a giant pain in the ass".
  • Green Ronin's Chris Pramas announces in January that this year they will be involved in what might be the biggest RPG news story of the year. "Our goal is to release Fantasy AGE in May. Then at the end of July we will release the game’s first setting book. This is our big GenCon release and part of something super exciting … that I can’t talk about yet. This will be the focus of our GenCon presence this year and perhaps the biggest RPG story of the year. Watch for an announcement in a few months."
  • In January 2015, Green Ronin announces Fantasy AGE. "This will be strictly a rule book with no attached setting. The core of the game will be well-familiar to Dragon Age fans but there are some differences, the biggest of which is the magic system."
  • A few days ago, just as the Tabletop RPG show starts fiming, Chris Pramas flew from Seattle to Burbank California, for reasons he says he can't discuss. These reasons are, however, exciting. "So much I can't tweet right now." The Green Ronin Twitter account posts "The Age of AGE is upon us."
  • The announcement video features Wil Wheaton sitting next to a Dragon Age GM screen, with his coffee mug resting on one of the Dragon Age Set 2 reference cards.
  • Wheaton states, just a couple of days ago, "It isn't Dragon Age. I brought my own GM screen from home because of reasons."
  • He also posted "Ryan is the co-creator of the world and main storyline in the Tabletop RPG show, and he and I have been writing together for months, now, almost every single day, and yesterday we finally finished the hardest part of our work. Yesterday, we handed everything off to the lead RPG designer, and exhaled for the first time in weeks." Is this world being published?
  • Wil Wheaton posts on his blog "I’m not quite ready to announce the details of the world we created for our RPG show, but I am ready to show this little glimpse of it, and I encourage you to make of it what you will…" (picture below)
  • Wheaton also posts photos of Yuri Lowenthal and Laura Bailey leveling up their characters. "Look at @yurilowenthal and @laurabaileyvo leveling up their characters! They are all grows up."
  • Various photos of players with dice show 3d6, one of which is a different colour, which pretty much seals the deal.

So, putting all that together, what do we have? It sounds a LOT like the game is Green Ronin's Fantasy AGE (not Dragon Age) or Blue Rose with a homebrewed world created by Wil Wheaton and his son and published by Green Ronin. If it's not, this is one heck of a clever misdirection!

a-sneak-peak-at-the-tabletop-rpg-world-768x1024.jpg

CBYcOIlU8AAbhB4.jpg

dice1.jpg
dice2.jpg

Von Ether

Legend
My guesses are:
* A retro-homage to Metamorphosis Alpha that's either a straight old-school "Use magic rules to represent mutations and psionics" or a magic version of the conceit.
* In that same flavor, it might be a love letter to Gene Wolfe/Jack Vance
* The big bad has giant walls around his city and golem city guards to keep mankind in line while being a magic user is illegal.
* Or the picture is something a little less integral to his campaign, just a cool big wall/engine thing with magic guards/clockwork PCs.

I'd put a scifi/fantasy blend, especially if it's pseudo-post apoc, under the "Wolfe/Vance" love letter category. Of course there's a lot of room in there for something not even remotely like a homage. (Like Numenera)

But if the world is one that is a very gonzo/kitchen sink setting where magic/science or magick-tech is run more by the Rule of Cool than by strictly defined rules, then I'm in.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Nothing whatsoever. But it's just not the "biggest RPG news story of the year".

The biggest news story of the year can only be a game becoming #1 on the ICv2 charts? That would be the biggest game of the year (or quarter), sure, but not the biggest news story. D&D or Pathfinder getting to #1 isn't a big news story.

I don't know if this is the biggest news story of the year, but if it's not, it's close. D&D 5E's launch was last year, obviously, and saving Paizo anouncing Pathfinder 2, I think this has a chance of being the year's big news story. What other news stories are there to compete with it? FFG's Star Wars license renewal, perhaps, but I don't think that was so much big news as expected.

Yeah, I'd say a setting written by Wil Wheaton, pubilshed by Green Ronin, and given its own professional show is a pretty big news story!

To be fair they said "possibly the biggest" and that will just depend on how popular the show becomes.
And that's the catch.

The biggest news story of the year can only be a game becoming #1 on the ICv2 charts? That would be the biggest game of the year (or quarter), sure, but not the biggest news story. D&D or Pathfinder getting to #1 isn't a big news story.

I don't know if this is the biggest news story of the year, but if it's not, it's close. D&D 5E's launch was last year, obviously, and saving Paizo anouncing Pathfinder 2, I think this has a chance of being the year's big news story. What other news stories are there to compete with it? FFG's Star Wars license renewal, perhaps, but I don't think that was so much big news as expected.

Yeah, I'd say a setting written by Wil Wheaton, pubilshed by Green Ronin, and given its own professional show is a pretty big news story!
It's a campaign setting being co-written by a blogger who hasn't done any real fiction who is also an actor that is now most famous for playing himself and gets guest work three or four times a year.

It's biggish news, but hardly insurmountable.
Excluding the biggies (an OGL, more D&D licence partners, etc) there are many stories that could easily bump this.

For example, if Mike Krahulik (Gabe of Penny Arcade) decided to release a Thornwatch campaign setting, that'd likely trump this. A number of licensed games could get some attention as well. FFG is going strong with their Star Wars game. They could go for the matching set and pick up Star Trek. A lot of Trekkies would be very happy to have a really solid Trek game for once.

kingjosh3

Explorer
And that's the catch.

It's a campaign setting being co-written by a blogger who hasn't done any real fiction who is also an actor that is now most famous for playing himself and gets guest work three or four times a year.

It's biggish news, but hardly insurmountable.
Excluding the biggies (an OGL, more D&D licence partners, etc) there are many stories that could easily bump this.

For example, if Mike Krahulik (Gabe of Penny Arcade) decided to release a Thornwatch campaign setting, that'd likely trump this. A number of licensed games could get some attention as well. FFG is going strong with their Star Wars game. They could go for the matching set and pick up Star Trek. A lot of Trekkies would be very happy to have a really solid Trek game for once.

Yeah, but Chris didn't say it would be the biggest RPG news <b>possible</b>, just that it <b>may</b> be the biggest of the year. His guess is not invalidated by stuff you're just imagining.

SigmaOne

First Post
I care. If you're not interested, move along and read something else.

Thank you! Words can't express how obnoxious it is to see that first comment there. It's news because its very interesting to many people who play RPGs! Thank you for putting the time to put to put this article together. For me, it's some of the most interesting RPG news I've seen, and I'm very glad to have seen it here.

Agamon

Adventurer
I have never played the game.

Something that I have run into recently with one of the groups that I am currently running, is that each group is different, i.e. some groups enjoy the roleplaying aspect, some enjoy the rollplaying aspect and others enjoy the exploration. I made the mistake of running Tyranny of Dragons with a group that doesn't like roleplaying.

Was it the system or the setting that you found unenjoyable?

I love the DA setting. Dragon Age: Inquisition was probably my favorite game from last year. It was the system. It was both too simple and and too confusing for the rookie GM running it. The stunt system seems cool, but it's clunky in play, and without that it's just a lot of roll and hit. I'd rather play D&D RC or an OSR clone.

Which is disappointing, I love the other GR games I've played/read (WFR2e and ASoIaF). But no game is for everybody.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads