[UPDATED] Has ADVENTURER'S HANDBOOK Been Cancelled?

Today's official announcement about the Elemental Evil storyline mentioned Princes of the Apocalypse, a new DM screen, miniatures, video games... but not the Adventurer's Handbook! This could mean nothing, of course. The book was first announced last year, back in August; but the below screenshot from Edelweiss shows it as cancelled. The mystery deepens!
Today's official announcement about the Elemental Evil storyline mentioned Princes of the Apocalypse, a new DM screen, miniatures, video games... but not the Adventurer's Handbook! This could mean nothing, of course. The book was first announced last year, back in August; but the below screenshot from Edelweiss shows it as cancelled. The mystery deepens!

UPDATE: WotC's Mike Mearls answers "We can't cancel a book we never announced!" So that sounds like the Adventurer's Handbook will definitely not be appearing. WotC certainly wrote ad copy and designed a cover for the book (see below). Mike added "we've played things close to the vest is that it's a huge, open question on what support for the RPG should look like... we do a lot of stuff that may or may not end up as a released product. For instance, we now know that the high volume release schedule for 3e and 4e turned out to be bad for D&D. It wasn't too many settings that hurt TSR, but too many D&D books of any kind. lots of experiments ahead..."

Here's the cancellation screenshot. Now, that could mean a number of things - maybe it's been pushed back, maybe it's been renamed, or maybe it's just an admin error. Princes of the Apolocaypse has been pushed back from March 17 to April 7.

ah_cancelled.jpg

What do we know about the book? We have a description from August 2014 and a more recent cover image. Right now, anything could be true; I haven't heard anything about a cancellation or a pushed back release date. If I do, I'll be sure to report it.

ah.jpg

Adventurer's Handbook (March 17, 2015; hardcover; $39.95) -- A Dungeons & Dragons Accessory.

Create Heroic Characters to Conquer the Elements in this Accessory for the World’s Greatest Roleplaying Game​

Not inherently evil, elemental power can be mastered by those with both malevolent and benign intentions. The Elemental Evil Adventurer’s Handbook provides everything that players need to build a character that is tied directly into the Elemental Evil story arc, with skills, abilities, and spells meant to augment their play experience throughout the campaign. Additionally, valuable background and story information provides greater depth and immersion.

An accessory that expands the number of options available for character creation for the Elemental Evil story arc, providing expanded backgrounds, class builds, and races meant specifically for this campaign.

Provides background and setting information critical to having the greatest chance of success.

Accessory design and development by Sasquatch Game Studio LLC.​

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
Hate the movies all you like, Hasbro and Michael Bay are laughing all the way to the bank. I mean, we're getting a Monopoly movie because Battleship did pretty darn well over all. Absolutely horrible movie, but, it made a crap ton of money in the end. Heck, even the Hercules movie made a profit. I just checked the Wiki site for it and it doubled its money. That's certainly respectable for a pretty C grade movie.

Get the right names in there, some passable writing and lots of action and the D&D movie will make enough money to earn the rights to a second and maybe a third. Which is what Hasbro is aiming for.
Won't happen.

Won't happen.
And why not. Hasbro is currently fighting to get the rights for D&D movies.

I feel like your just cynical.

Already happened. The third movie in the series started by the Dungeons and Dragons movie of 2000 was released in 2012.

A thing about those is they were low budget stuff released straight to DVD and stuff. (Other then the first one which was terrible and had nothing to do with Dungeons and Dragons.)

If Hasbro gets the rights back and puts a major studio and budget under it they could make quite the franchise. And if a major movie stuff happens the rest of the products will get more attention.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
Already happened. The third movie in the series started by the Dungeons and Dragons movie of 2000 was released in 2012.

And it was crap like all the others.

You can't compare the Transformers movies to the D&D ones. Hussar was indicating that there could be one, two, maybe three "successful" D&D movies.

You missed the point of the comment.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
And why not. Hasbro is currently fighting to get the rights for D&D movies.

I feel like your just cynical.

A thing about those is they were low budget stuff released straight to DVD and stuff. (Other then the first one which was terrible and had nothing to do with Dungeons and Dragons.)

If Hasbro gets the rights back and puts a major studio and budget under it they could make quite the franchise. And if a major movie stuff happens the rest of the products will get more attention.
It's not being cynical, it's being realistic.

You can't compare D&D to Transformers or Marvel or DC. Just because it worked for a few IP's, doesn't mean it's going to work for others.

Iosue

Legend
How about Ninja Turtles? Starts as a niche of a niche, gets a cartoon and requisite toy line, then three movies, two more cartoons, and then two more movies.

How about My Little Pony? That was an entire dead and shelved toy line, known only to women in their 30s, now a gangbusters IP.

Hell, they're making a JEM movie now.

Looking at a particular project and saying "This won't be a goldmine for them," seems eminently reasonable. Saying that D&D could never parley it's IP into a multi-product, cross-media franchise because reasons just seems obstinate. Multiple old IPs have done it. Entirely unknown IPs have done it. D&D just isn't that niche. The vast majority of IPs out there would kill for its cultural penetration.

and I'd be interested in hearing just what you think makes Transformers a bad comparison.

The material that was going to be sold in a hardback book for $40.00 is now going to be included in the adventure materials it was designed to support and/or available online free of charge. Nothing less is being released. The only difference now is that if you buy the adventure you will get more for your money. How does that suck?
Well, for some folks they know this backs up the DMs who want to keep players to the PHB. Saying flat out no to a general book of options is a lot harder to justify to a group of relative equals than saying no to an option from an adventure the DM isn't running.

For folks in organized play, there would definitely be bigger chance of being able to use a book of official options, than if the same option is only tied to Module Obliterate the Oxmen. if you aren't making a character for that adventure, you can forget about the kewl options it had.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
How about Ninja Turtles? Starts as a niche of a niche, gets a cartoon and requisite toy line, then three movies, two more cartoons, and then two more movies.

How about My Little Pony? That was an entire dead and shelved toy line, known only to women in their 30s, now a gangbusters IP.

Hell, they're making a JEM movie now.

Looking at a particular project and saying "This won't be a goldmine for them," seems eminently reasonable. Saying that D&D could never parley it's IP into a multi-product, cross-media franchise because reasons just seems obstinate. Multiple old IPs have done it. Entirely unknown IPs have done it. D&D just isn't that niche. The vast majority of IPs out there would kill for its cultural penetration.

and I'd be interested in hearing just what you think makes Transformers a bad comparison.
It's already been there and done that.

Ninja Turtles will never again be where it was in the late 80's. The movie did okay, but I wouldn't put ot up there as a blockbuster. Also, the Ninja Turtles took off during the late 80's at a level not all IP's get to. Let's not forget this is the Turtles 4th or 5th go at trying to make the name popular again.

My Little Pony isn't really a blip on the radar to be honest. It has a cartoon and some toys but let's not sugar coat it more than it is.

Okay they are making a Jem movie, so? Jem has never had a movie so it's bringing something that jas never been a film.

You aren't comparing like for like to be honest.

Remove ads

Remove ads