[UPDATED] WotC Gives You Some Official 5E Modern Armor!

This took me rather by surprise - WotC has just posted statistics for D&D 5E versions of modern armor types, including leather jackets, tactical vests, forced entry units, and other items straight from d20 Modern. The article is titled "Firearms", but its focus is adding armor to use alongside the existing firearms in the Dungeon Master's Guide.

This took me rather by surprise - WotC has just posted statistics for D&D 5E versions of modern armor types, including leather jackets, tactical vests, forced entry units, and other items straight from d20 Modern. The article is titled "Firearms", but its focus is adding armor to use alongside the existing firearms in the Dungeon Master's Guide.

UPDATE: WotC has just renamed the article from 5E Firearms to My New d20 Modern Campaign.

Find the article here.

modern.jpg

Evenglare

Adventurer
Just for clarity -- who are you assigning the task of letting you know, and in what way should that person do so?

Well... if you made the article and you can put *update* on the article (Which you clearly have already done to let people know the name changed). I suppose my request falls to you, the person who posts the article and can update it relatively easily. A shame I really had to spell that out given the context but there it is anyway.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well... if you made the article and you can put *update* on the article (Which you clearly have already done to let people know the name changed). I suppose my request falls to you, the person who posts the article and can update it relatively easily. A shame I really had to spell that out given the context but there it is anyway.

Well, I'll try to remember.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Well, on the weapon distribution, I don't really like it. On an urban setting -more urban fantasy than modern with elves- sidearms are the simple weapons, weapons considered simple on standard fantasy become actually rare and exotic. A sickle? in the modern world that is a military weapon, a quarterstaff? I guess it would be a broom, a dagger? ok that one is actually more likely as a swiss knife. But crosbows and bows are fairly exotic, and expensive. Every class should have proficiency with at least the smaller weapons, not just the more martial ones. (And I didn't like that the sorcerers just don't get a chance to be proficient with them like wizards and clerics. It makes sense on druids though)

I don't know what to think about the aim action. There could be other ways to balance firearms.

On armor, it should be less differentiated, modern armor is designed to be as unobtrusive as possible, no need to "train with it" -except perhaps military grade and grenadier grade armor- And it is less covering than medieval armor, I don't see any reason for stealth disadvantages, it may make sense if it is just a reskin of medieval armor, but it doesn't feel like modern armor.

This is definitely out of left field. That said, it's cool that they're publishing (in a way) supporting content again! I long for the old 3E days of new D&D articles thrice weekly! I also love me some d20 Modern/Future, so any bones thrown that way are bully to me.

Come to think of it, when was the last time WotC published anything that discussed d20 Modern? It's gotta be, like, 8 years ago by now.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The difference is , the artificer is Unearthed Arcana while this article is "Behind the Screen" Just because the first BTS article gave us a map with some names and places on it doesn't mean it's part of the "official" multiverse. The same should be said for any rules from BTS. It's not official content.

Which obviously you care a great deal about - but for content like this (which is Modern) I really don't care what stamp of officialness it has, I still might be asking questions because I still might use it for a Modern game. I am really kinda baffled why you care if Modern stuff is marked as "official" or not. What use is that stamp in this context?

CubeB

Explorer
Wow. I was running a modern 5e game on Fantasy Grounds, but got fed up for various reasons (Difficultly adjudicating certain rule situations, lack of support in FG, Grass is Greener Syndrome), so I switched the system to 13th Age and the venue to Slack.

AND THEN ALL OF THIS HAPPENS.

...I do hope they bring back Urban Arcana though. I love Urban Arcana so much.

CubeB

Explorer
So did I. ;)

Even if you didn't use the default setting, the combination of Modern + D&D Style Fantasy is kind of compelling.

My current UA style game forgoes the Shadow, the gift of Lethe, and all of that stuff. Everything is out in the open. Including the evil overlord that followed the fantasy races that everyone is currently in open war with.

It allows for certain interesting twists on certain tropes. (Paladins as Media Celebrities! Illusions mixed with pro-wrestling! Warforged as Captain America!).

Though, in both 5e and 13th Age, I found things work best just by refluffing. (My main concerns with 5e were difficulties implementing a subsystem intergral to the plot. Also I just love 13th Age)

Remove ads

Remove ads