Upper_Krust: Fix This

Pssthpok

First Post
So a sorcerer deity with Revenge would be a less-effective spell-caster?

I think I'd rather see these template penalties be a matter of inability to increase rather than (up to) -2x divine rank penalty. I mean, for some builds that would reduce a score to less than 1. What the hell's that about?

paradox42

First Post
Pssthpok said:
So a sorcerer deity with Revenge would be a less-effective spell-caster?

I think I'd rather see these template penalties be a matter of inability to increase rather than (up to) -2x divine rank penalty. I mean, for some builds that would reduce a score to less than 1. What the hell's that about?
I agree with this, actually. Weaknesses associated with a Portfolio should be about vulnerabilities to damage types, or penalties to certain skills or saves under correct circumstances, not blanket reductions of basic character-building attributes like the ability scores. The only case where I would even consider ability score penalties to be appropriate is for Portfolios that actually are all about the opposed ability score, for example a Strength deity loses points in Intelligence. A deity of Knowledge should not have a STR penalty, because the Portfolio is not the Intelligence Portfolio- however close it may come in terms of skill use. Only an actual deity of Intelligence should get a STR penalty as a Portfolio weakness.

It is important to keep in mind that Portfolios are typically abstract concepts, with many shades of gray in their meaning and use; the PC in my second game who has the Dominance and Concealment Portfolios, for example, will not be getting Law and Secrets from the IH (the two closest samples to those concepts that I could find). I will instead be making two new ones for the character, and even if Concealment (for example) comes close to Secrets in terms of concept and what it does, it is not the same Portfolio and will not be treated as such.

Also, it should be noted that not everybody assigns ability score opposites the same way; for example, I would never set up two physical scores or two mental scores as opposed to each other- it just doesn't make sense to me. I always match one physical to one mental when thinking that way. STR opposes INT, DEX opposes WIS, CHA opposes CON is the way I would typically do it- and I could see certain circumstances where I would change those designations too.

WarDragon

First Post
Strife said:
An inside joke my group has is to check each update of the immortals handbooks ascension to see if one of the feats is still the same.

Legendary Archer:
reqs: dex 25
You no longer require sleep

We all agree though that this would be a good trait for the archer in our group to take as it would approve his sniping ability if he were not to sleep. A sniper asleep on the job is no good to anyone.
He's not the only one who's noticed.

Strife

First Post
My Dm showed me his build for his ultimate Gunslinger character, and sure enough he's a legendary archer who doesnt need to sleep.

Hey guys! :)

Just a quick note - don't be posting errata for the Portfolios Chapter until I get it finished. ;)

When I go fix the appropriate errata I will reply to the post in question with 'fixed'. :)

WarDragon

First Post
The "Heroism" lines of Perfect Aura and Superior Aura still say "+2 morale bonus" instead of something higher. Greater Aura does say +4, so I presume the others should be +6 and +8, respectively.

Fieari

Explorer
Page 16, The Power. "There are two approaches to dealing with such players. Firstly, ..." You don't have a "secondly".

Page 18, Resonance. "So while the path to enlightenment through resonance is quick and easy," the sentence ends here. Finish the sentence.

The table of contents will also need to be reworked eventually, but I know you should get to that AFTER everything else.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
I'm inclined to agree in regards to ability penalties being a bit too unscrupulous. I think there needs to be some sort of penalty related to opposed portfolios instead. Perhaps the weaknesses only apply when dealing with those opposed portfolios instead of constantly. I also think some opposed portfolios need not be so opposed. For example...in one of my campaign worlds is a god of magic and science. He is a cyborg who worshiped a god of magic for many hundreds of years and was then granted ascension. In his mind magic and science are simply opposite sides of the same coin. He is quite a powerful Cleric (40th), Fighter (12th), Rogue (38th), and Wizard (40th), who still worships his former master and serves the will of the pantheon of that world. Still only a hero deity, but still quite conflicted in terms of portfolios.

I've also read in a great deal of literature that there are fantasy worlds with gods that represent twin portfolios that are completely opposed to one another.

Last edited:

Remove ads