Urgent: 2 Sorceror questions...

The Cardinal

First Post
1. For a (PHB) 3rd level sorceror: what would be your spells of choice [5 cantrips, 3 first level]???

2. I'm still undecided about the purchase of Monte's BoEM2 - does his "new&improved" sorceror have the same number of "spells known" per level? More? Less? How about spellslots: the same, more, less???

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Trellian - you only need to know detect magic once :)

apsuman - web is a 2nd level spell :)

When my sorcerer hit 3rd level his spells were

1st: shield, truestrike, magic missile
0th: flare, arcane mark, detect magic, prestidigitation, mage hand

(he was a paladin 2/sorcerer3 at that point though - his early choice of shield and truestrike reflected his preferred fighting style and wouldn't necessarily fit with others).

IceBear

Explorer
It's only $5...why not buy it?

A 3rd level sorcerer based on Monte's variant would have 3d6 hitpoints, +1 BAB, +1 Fort, +1 Reflex, +3 Will, 6/5 spells per day, spells known (6/3/1), and doesn't need material components (if the material component costs gp, then the sorcerer pays 1/25 the cost in XP). Monte has a new spell list for sorcerer and he cautions that if you are going to use this variant, then you should use the new spell list.

[Edit]

Interesting...I just noticed that the 3rd level sorcerer knows a 2nd level spell, but can't actually cast it yet.

IceBear

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
No, but I think once you get to cast 2nd level spells, you'll have a choice of 2 to use instead of just one to cast over and over.

IceBear

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Icebear: Monte has said that the 2nd-level spell known at 3rd level is a mistake, as are all the 1's on the "spells known" chart; though they don't affect gameplay (since you can't ever cast these spells you know), they're confusing. CHange all the 1's on the chart to dashes.

I think it's a great book, personally.

Daniel

Remove ads