• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Urn Your Pay (Rae judging)

covaithe

Explorer
Aided by Karm's feint, Kuma chomps eagerly into one of the creatures. Black blood flows from torn webbing, and it flutters to the floor, writhing helplessly. (hit, kills D2.)

Gildrim and Ter-raen wait for their chance, weapons ready.

Round 2

One of the remaining darkmantles floats gently towards Karm, and suddenly lashes out with a tentacle. It catches the druid around the neck and squeezes with supernatural force for a moment. The druid drops, unconscious and not breathing. (D1 hits with a tentacle for 6 damage. It has improved grab, so it gets to try a grapple, which it wins. Since it has constrict, it does a further 5 damage, reducing Karm to -2)

The other darkmantle floats down towards Ter-raen. The warrior, ready, strikes a blow, but is fooled by the magical shadows into a miss.

Gildrim's blow....

(need Gildrim's readied action here, then I can carry on with D3.)

[sblock=initiative and status]

Darkmantle 1, uninjured
Darkmantle 2, dead
Darkmantle 3, uninjured <== You're up
Karm -2/10
Kuma 12/13
Ter-raen 25/33
Gildrim 9/24
[/sblock]

ooc: map unchanged, except D2 is dead.

covaithe

Explorer
Round 2, continued

Gildrim's sword flashes deftly, and nearly splits the descending darkmantle in two. It falls to the ground with a quiet thump.

Karm lies quietly, his face ashen. He is still not breathing. (Karm fails to stabilize.)

Kuma snarls and lashes out in desperate fury against the creature that felled his master. His jaws close inexorably on the leathery monster, and its struggles are brief. (Kuma hits for 7 damage, passes his miss chance. D1 dies.)

End combat, but we're still in rounds, since Karm is dying.

[sblock=initiative and status]

Karm -3/10
Kuma 12/13
Ter-raen 25/33 <== You're up
Gildrim 9/24
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Ter-raen tries to boost Gildrim up, but loses his grip, toppling the dwarf ignominiously to the floor! Precious time is wasted as Gildrim scrambles to his feet for another attempt. Fortunately, Karm chooses that moment to sputter and cough, and draw a deep, hoarse breath.

[sblock=ooc]natural 1 on the strength check, but Karm stabilizes. Between the lot of you, taking 10 will get you out of the pit. Eventually. Karm had probably better heal himself before helping, though.[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: I believe Gildrim still has all 3 orisons remaining, which will get Karm back to 0 HP. Karm is out of 1st level spells. Even if he has CmW orisons prepared, they won't help while he's disabled.

Time to retreat!

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: We leave the house, go see how Apikotoa is getting on and camp for the night. Gildrim will request that Karm prepares detect magic in the morning to examine the wands we picked up here and on the amulet from the strongbox. With exact action depending on successful determination of schools of magic of auras, Gildrim will cast identify on one of the items, with priority given to a wand of the school of conjuration (I guess Karm would have to tell Spellcraft-less Gildrim that conjuration is the school of healing). We'll see where we go from there.

covaithe

Explorer
Karm limps carefully back to camp with the support of his companions. Apikotoa is there, and the corpse of some large lizard slowly charring over the fire gives testament to his activities. He takes in Karm's condition without comment, but does help clear a space for the druid's bedroll.

The night brings with it a light rain, which on its own is rather refreshing compared to the oppressive, sweaty heat of the fens, but by morning it has soaked through both bedrolls and firewood.

Karm and Gildrim put their heads together and determine that one of the wands does indeed emanate conjuration, and the other evocation. Gildrim sinks into a trance, and in due course is granted divine guidance: the conjuration wand is indeed a wand of healing.

[sblock=ooc]
ooc: wand of CLW, 30 charges left. Here's how I count the HP after a night's rest, though double checking me would probably not be a bad idea. I don't think anyone's close to leveling, are they? Unless someone's close, I'd rather hold off and see if Karm comes back.

Karm 1/10
Kuma 13/13
Ter-raen 28/33
Gildrim 12/24

[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
Gildrim stirs from an hour's muttering and chanting over the wand with a confused look on his face. "Weel, Ah wis wishin' Ah coud see magic like Erf an' ye, Karm, but Grendath's givin' me a michty odd gift haur."

OOC: did the amulet show an aura?
I'm kind of reluctant to push ahead without serow or Karm.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads