D&D 5E Using Subclasses at Level 1?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I am just curious if anyone plays with choosing subclasses at level 1 instead of waiting until level 3 (in most cases)?

I was thinking about it for our next game and wanted feedback from people who have tired it.

EDIT: (just to address the questions so far)

No, I am not thinking of adding anything at level 3 to replace the subclass choice/features.
I am thinking I might delay level 1 and 2 features to level 2 and 3, respectively.

Ex. Fighter:
1 - subclass choice and features
2 - fighting style, second wind
3- action surge

I might or might not do this.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
What do you mean by "choosing"?

Do you mean getting the subclass powers at level one, or do you mean "I want to play an Eldritch Knight, so my Fighter is going to have higher than average intelligence at level one to make that work better when I pick the class at level 3."

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
What do you mean by "choosing"?

Do you mean getting the subclass powers at level one, or do you mean "I want to play an Eldritch Knight, so my Fighter is going to have higher than average intelligence at level one to make that work better when I pick the class at level 3."
Well, getting the powers and such.

Even if you plan to pick them at level 3, you sort of have to plan ahead normally anyway...

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Would you go with a new lvl 1 feature for the subclasses or just have them start and end sooner? What will you add to replace the the empty slot at higher level?

Maybe an extra feat?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I was just thinking of granting the first subclass feature at level 1. Since three classes get them at level 1, and druids and wizards at level 2, I know other threads have talked about making the choice (and getting the subclass features) at level 1.

I really don't plan to give anything extra at level 3 to replace the subclass features. After all, then the other classes would have to get something as well... ;)

Last edited:

I would like subclasses from level 1 to feel my PC is different, with his own mark of identity. I understand the subclasses from 3rd level is to avoid abuses by munchkins with multiplayer. I also like the concept of archetype of Pathfinder where some class features are replaced with others, like the gladiator from Dark Sun. This is more interesting than the prestige classes from 5th level, or advanced classes from 3rd in d20 Modern.

Sometimes I think about a idea for a "modular d20", a division among level of power (hit points, bonus to attack, unlocked power level) and level of knowledge. A PC with high power but low knowledge would be like a superhero in a high school who has to study to learn more, and a character with low power but high knowledge would be that old man who has studied a lot of things and can give good advices.

Rhianni32

Adventurer
Mechanic wise. It wouldn't break anything I suppose.
Story wise, which ever table is different. As a GM I try to add in class progression in whichever rules we are using, into the story. Like they find a mentor or
It seems a little odd that the backstories are they are brand new lvl 1 beginning their adventuring careers... and already have access to advanced techniques and knowledge. Yeah its workable and things can be overlooked or spedup but less immersive.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I would like subclasses from level 1 to feel my PC is different, with his own mark of identity. I understand the subclasses from 3rd level is to avoid abuses by munchkins with multiplayer. I also like the concept of archetype of Pathfinder where some class features are replaced with others, like the gladiator from Dark Sun. This is more interesting than the prestige classes from 5th level, or advanced classes from 3rd in d20 Modern.

Sometimes I think about a idea for a "modular d20", a division among level of power (hit points, bonus to attack, unlocked power level) and level of knowledge. A PC with high power but low knowledge would be like a superhero in a high school who has to study to learn more, and a character with low power but high knowledge would be that old man who has studied a lot of things and can give good advices.

I would agree about the 3rd level to avoid multiclassing abuse, but 5 of the 12 classes are at level 1 and 2 already. As far as the multiclassing abuse, I could always shift other things up a level. For example:

Fighter
1. Subclass
2. Second Wind, Fighting Style
3. Action Surge

I see more level dipping to pick up second wind, action surge, and a fighting style that a base subclass feature such as Improved Critical. Granted the BM maneuvers are good and having some spells at level 1 as a EK would be powerful, too. But compared to the Fighting Style and the front-loading Action Surge, I don't seem them as OP.

I've thought about a modular d20 design as well. The idea that you spend your XP to earn or improve features. One think in 5E I am not keen on is the proficiency bonus being standard for combat, saves, skills, etc. all rolled into one thing.

Mechanic wise. It wouldn't break anything I suppose.
Story wise, which ever table is different. As a GM I try to add in class progression in whichever rules we are using, into the story. Like they find a mentor or
It seems a little odd that the backstories are they are brand new lvl 1 beginning their adventuring careers... and already have access to advanced techniques and knowledge. Yeah its workable and things can be overlooked or spedup but less immersive.

In a similar light, with backgrounds like "Soldier" it implies you should already be good at fighting and such, so I always though granting some martial weapons, shields, and light armor would make sense for non-battler classes who take the background.

Many of the backgrounds to not reflect the "brand new adventuring careers" concept IMO.

Last edited:

mortwatcher

Explorer
What would be the alternative "award" for level 3? The few classes that get their subclass earlier are casters, who get new spell level, what would you give to martials? Or would that be a HP only level?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases