Level Up (A5E) Vampersan's Rules Inquiry Thread

Vampersan

Explorer
Actually, there's another question there. It takes a bonus action to spend a Bardic Inspiration die. Does it still take that bonus action to spend the die to start the Hymn, but the Hymn itself doesn't require any other actual actions?
I wouldn't think so since it doesn't explicitly state that you must spend a bonus action to activate the ability. Although that would make it technically superior (if only marginally) to giving an ally a plain old Bardic Inspiration die.

Vampersan

Explorer
Cube of Force (Wondrous Item, Rare)

Table: Cube of Force

FaceChargesEffect
11Gasses, wind, and fog can’t penetrate the cube.
22Nonliving matter can’t penetrate the cube, except for walls, floors, and ceilings (at your discretion).
33Living matter can’t penetrate the cube.
44Spell effects can’t penetrate the cube.
55Nothing penetrates the cube (exception for walls, floors, and ceilings at your discretion).
60Deactivate the cube.

My question is this: When activating the button on the 5th side of the cube, does the cube prevent everything from entering it's area? Does that include things like breathable air? And natural light?

The cube has the ability to keep gasses, wind, and fog from penetrating its area, so I feel like that means its capable of excluding oxygen (or an otherwise breathable atmosphere) as well. Or at least it wouldn't allow new oxygen in.

But I'm just wondering if it was designed with the intent of keeping literally everything out, as the magic item suggests. On the surface, if it did keep everything out, one might think that's a bad thing. But, what if a warlock villain had such a cube (with the Devil's Sight invocation)?

Could they theoretically activate the cube's 5th side while another creature is within, say, 10ft of them and trap that creature in a space that's suddenly devoid of light and with limited oxygen?

Faolyn

(she/her)
I think it's always been assumed that breathable air can pass through the walls of a wall of force or forcecage, because otherwise you'd have to pull up the suffocation rules and do math to determine how much air is already in there. Since cubes of force are basically those spells in item form, I'd say... it's up to you. The reddit link above says that there would be about 8 hours of air in such a cube, even if no new air enters. And since each charge lasts for 1 minute...

So, as evilly dramatic and cool it might be to suffocate someone in a pitch-black cube of force, it's likely not actually possible. Sorry.

Anselm

Adventurer
Actually, there's another question there. It takes a bonus action to spend a Bardic Inspiration die. Does it still take that bonus action to spend the die to start the Hymn, but the Hymn itself doesn't require any other actual actions?
No, they're separate abilities. They just use the same resource.

Vampersan

Explorer
I think it's always been assumed that breathable air can pass through the walls of a wall of force or forcecage, because otherwise you'd have to pull up the suffocation rules and do math to determine how much air is already in there. Since cubes of force are basically those spells in item form, I'd say... it's up to you. The reddit link above says that there would be about 8 hours of air in such a cube, even if no new air enters. And since each charge lasts for 1 minute...

So, as evilly dramatic and cool it might be to suffocate someone in a pitch-black cube of force, it's likely not actually possible. Sorry.
That makes sense.

Remove ads