Vampires and the Daylight spell

Swack-Iron

First Post
Are vampires affected by the Daylight spell? The vampire template states: "Exposing a vampire to direct sunlight disorients it: It can take only partial actions and is destroyed utterly on the next round if it cannot escape."

The Daylight spell "sheds light as bright as full daylight... Creatures who suffer penalties in bright light suffer them while exposed to this magical light."

It's a semantics question, really. Is the light created by the Daylight spell actual sunlight? It's certainly "as bright as" sunlight, but does it share any other properties of sunlight? Daylight isn't on the Sun Domain spell list. Other spells with the word "sun" in them, like Sunbeam and Sunburst, make a point of mentioning that they do damage vs. undead, but there's no such mention of damage in Daylight. And frankly, it seems kind of weird that fearsome creatures of the night can be taken out in two rounds by an extremely common low level spell.

Opinions?

Last edited:

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
I could've sworn that the MM specifically said the Daylight spell is not sufficient. The SRD doesn't include any such text though.

IceBear

Explorer
Yeah, I remember reading somewhere where it specifically states that the daylight spell is not sufficent when it comes to vampires.

IceBear

Swack-Iron

First Post
IceBear said:
Yeah, I remember reading somewhere where it specifically states that the daylight spell is not sufficent when it comes to vampires.

If someone could find that for me, it'd be great. It's certainly not in the Vampire template or the Daylight spell.

IceBear

Explorer
Are you reading the PHB and the MM or the SRD? I'm almost 100% positive it's in either the Vampire Template in the MM or the Daylight spell description in the PHB.

IceBear

Last edited:

Swack-Iron

First Post
IceBear said:
Are you reading the PHB and the MM or the SRD? I'm almost 100% positive it's in either the Vampire Template in the MM or the Daylight spell description in the PHB.

I'm looking in the books, not the SRD. My PHB is even second printing.

IceBear

Explorer
Hmmm, you're right. Maybe it was a Sage clarification or something then. The spell says it creates light as bright as daylight, but that's not daylight. To allow such a low level spell to kill vampires is just out of wack.

IceBear

Remove ads