• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Variant 5e?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think it depends on your definition of harder. What I am presenting meet my and my players definitions of harder (harder = monsters are harder to kill and for us to live doing so). What is your definition of harder. Are you think harder for players or harder for characters?
Harder for the players. I should think obviously, given that the players are the ones playing a game.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
OK, so harder for the players. Then what does the mean to you? What would make it harder for the players?
I don’t want to beat a dead horse here, cause I kinda already expressed that, and you weren’t interested. But, since you’re asking... D&D is fundamentally a game of resource management. That’s what its game mechanics are built around. To increase the difficulty (for the people playing the game,) one must either make it more difficult to manage resources, generally achieved by spreading them thinner, or make much more extensive changes in order to change the fundamental nature of the game and make it about something other than resource management. At which point anything goes, really. Pick your poison in terms of how you want to challenge the players and build mechanics to facilitate that.

Zardnaar

Legend
Buying and printing a PDF can end up more expensive than buying the book and it's a lot more inconvenient.

I'll print small PDFs 16 to 32 pages.

Ashrym

Legend
I haven't done this in my games, but I don't care for the multiclassing system and liked feats that "multiclass" in. If a person is looking for ideas I would look at that one. It's another way to mix subclass features instead of one subclass locking another out.

Zardnaar

Legend
Isn’t the point of buying a PDF to have the book in a non-paper format?

Price can be it.

I printed out OSR stuff before 5E landed. PDF might be fine for me but players need something to look at. OSR stuff is often shorter and black and white.

If I'm interested in a line I might by a PDF as a sneak peek. I wasn't sure about PF2 so I bought the PDF.

Smaller PDFs are also good for adventures. I'm not going to print PF2 though.

I have printed PDFs of ACKs and Castles and Crusades. I have an additional real copy of ACKs and 4 real C&C handbooks.

I'm not going to drop $75 on something new iight not like. I bought Numenera a few years ago when it was cheap and Amazon did free international postage.

Remove ads