D&D 5E Variant Monk that uses Strength instead of Wisdom?

I'm pondering a Monk variant that uses Strength instead of Wisdom for things like the unarmored AC bonus (their muscles are hard like steel) and save DCs (or ability mod times per day if they have such a subclass for that). But I feel other than that change there maybe should be at least one other difference in the core abilities of the Monk. It probably won't be Stunning Fist, since that certainly thematically would work with Strength, but anything else might be fair game.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Out of curiosity - what makes them a monk when they're focused on only physical abilities? Someone that perfects their body, without developing their mind, fits a lot of archetypes, but I do not see it as a monk. What is the fluff that goes with these mechanics?
I don’t see why it would need any more justification than “I want to use the Monk’s abilities on a big, dumb bruiser character.”

Rune

Once A Fool
Out of curiosity - what makes them a monk when they're focused on only physical abilities? Someone that perfects their body, without developing their mind, fits a lot of archetypes, but I do not see it as a monk. What is the fluff that goes with these mechanics?
Could be an idiot who thinks of themself as wise. Like Danny Rand in Netflix’s Iron Fist.

Last edited:

Well there's always being the dichotomy of Internal vs External, Linear vs Circular or Closed Fist vs Open Palm, and other such concepts. And not every martial artist in fiction is exactly the wisest. Now some of them could very well be Fighters who belong to a more mystical subclass, I feel there could be Monks who don't necessarily focus on the Internal as much as others.

Dausuul

Legend
How about:
  • Patient Defense: Instead of taking the Dodge action, you gain resistance to slashing, bludgeoning, and piercing damage until the start of your next turn.
  • Step of the Wind: You cannot use this ability to take the Disengage action. Instead, you can use it to make a shove attempt against each enemy within 5 feet of you. This shove can only push a creature away from you; it cannot knock it prone.
Both features serve the same basic functions as before (protect yourself from attacks, avoid opportunity attacks), but accomplish them in more "strength-y" ways.

Maybe the equivalent of the sorceror: Rather than utilising magic through meditation and discipline, they are channelling magic through their bodies instinctively.
Sounds like there may be a certain crossover with Barbarians.

Well there's always being the dichotomy of Internal vs External, Linear vs Circular or Closed Fist vs Open Palm, and other such concepts. And not every martial artist in fiction is exactly the wisest. Now some of them could very well be Fighters who belong to a more mystical subclass, I feel there could be Monks who don't necessarily focus on the Internal as much as others.
Bear in mind that Fighters are the martial, martial artists. Monks are the magical martial artists. D&D monks are channelling magic through their bodies. The usual fluff is that this is done through contemplation and discipline, hence Ki abilities being wisdom-based. But maybe your variant are piggybacking off an external source of magic like potions or a patron?

Bear in mind that Fighters are the martial, martial artists. Monks are the magical martial artists. D&D monks are channelling magic through their bodies. The usual fluff is that this is done through contemplation and discipline, hence Ki abilities being wisdom-based. But maybe your variant are piggybacking off an external source of magic like potions or a patron?
By External I mean External Martial Arts not external forces: as in Martial Arts that aren't like Tai Chi or Ba Gua. I also acknowledge that Fighters (and Rangers, Paladins, Rogues, Barbarians) do Martial Arts too.

Remove ads