Various weird magic stuff

Thanee

First Post
1) It seems, that you can exploit the spell magic jar to buff your friends with personal spells (shield, see invisible, antimagic field, etc.)! There's a lot of abuse possible, I think! Do you think this is right? Or do personal spells end as soon as you leave the body?

2) Greater Shadow Evocation can copy the spell Sending, but what happens then!? Does it work? Only 40% chance to work? A scrambled message (40% of it getting through)?

Bye
Thanee

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hey, if you want to use up a 5th level spell for such a use, go right ahead. It means one less teleport or wall spell the DM has to worry about. If the PCs want to go out of their way and use major power to shift the target of a spell, I think that's a reasonablwe trade-off.

Note that aside from the casting time, it takes a full-round action to take over a body. That means it takes about three rounds before you can see any use from the tactic. Not particularly good unless the PCs are controlling when the fight happens.

And, btw, methniks there might be a problem with using the Magic Jar with Antimagic Field. What happens when the AM Field suppresses the Magic Jar?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Exactly.

So, if for some odd reason you want to cast "self only" spells on a body you've posessed, you'd better make Anti Magic Shell the last one :)

Also, there's the question - do the "self only" spells go with the body, or with the soul? If the "self" is denoted by the soul, then there's no real point in casting Magic Jar and then Anti-Magic Shell, is there? If I were trying this trick, I'd want to check with the DM beforehand.

shilsen

Adventurer
Thanee said:
2) Greater Shadow Evocation can copy the spell Sending, but what happens then!? Does it work? Only 40% chance to work? A scrambled message (40% of it getting through)?

Bye
Thanee

Since the 40% only comes into effect when someone recognizes it as "mostly illusory", and I'm not sure how one could sense a message as illusory, I'd allow the Sending to work normally. Considering a 6th lvl spell is being used to send a 25 word message, I don't think that's exactly gamebreaking.

Zhure

First Post
40% of a 25 word message is a 10 word message. The various shade/shadow spells might seem a waste of spell slots, but for a Sorcerer, they're well worth the investment as it broadens their "known" spells.

Greg

drnuncheon

Explorer
Zhure said:
40% of a 25 word message is a 10 word message.

Actually, 40% of a 25 word message is 10 words of a 25 word message. That's an important distinction, and one which evil GMs can use to great effect.

If, for instance, the intended message is: "The war is over. Do not attack under any circumstances. Envoys of the Empire are coming to your position to discuss the terms - King Bob."

The received message might well be:

"...war...attack...any...Envoys of the Empire...coming...your position..."

The moral of this story is, if it's important (and your field commander has a high Will save), use the real thing.

J

Remove ads